Fry bakes and forgiving yourself
Welcome to installment #10 of The Daily Breakfast Situation, your morning check-in with recipe ideas, joy-flavored stories, and tools for The War on Spiritual Ashiness™.
Growing up, my grandmother made delicious fry bakes on many weekend mornings as snacks, alongside fish, breakfast meat, or a guisado. The daughter of a Jamaican woman who brought her first child and her cooking traditions to start a new life in Panama, my grandmother’s bakes were similar to floats, dumplings, hojaldres, and other fried dough treats enjoyed across the Caribbean and Latin America.
At gatherings with family, members of the Gold Teeth Clan, and other Caribbean folks, I’ve had salty bakes and sweet-ish ones with cinnamon and nutmeg (shoutout to the Trinis). All worthy of praise. Quick, easy, and wondrous.
Terri-Ann’s Kitchen has a simple recipe to get you started.
A few things to moisturize your spirit:
- Good morning to everyone who missed the twerking memo.
- Connecticut Children’s has some ideas for helping your child manage stress.
What You Should Do When Your Kids Feel Stressed or Anxious During COVID-19
By Kelly Maynes, PsyD, and Lauren K. Ayr-Volta, PhD Kids are resilient and can bounce back stronger than ever from…
- Over on Shondaland, Malcolm Venable checks up on a trans woman who challenged beliefs on queer identity, acceptance, and lived experiences in a small Virginia town.
Looking for LaBasha
Courtesy of Denetra Smith After my parents' divorce in the early 1990s, my mom started dating her hairstylist, Rick…
- And good morning to this sweet potato pound cake.
- I wrote about my grandmother, the Janet Jackson of Rice, and the legacy she built with her empanadas for Food & Wine.
Empanadas, Rice, and a Dream Built My Family
When everything else in the world feels unstable, Alex Hardy turns to the ancestors. They tell him to get in the…
- Timothy Ward shares a gracious message about forgiving yourself for “unforgivable” things and working towards freeing yourself from emotional weight. Get free, boo.
If you haven’t, download all four Literary Therapy Exploration Workbooks (with mindfulness activities, additional prompts to dive inward, and space to doodle) right here.
Catch up on past Daily Breakfast Situations when you have a moment.
See you tomorrow.
With extra gravy,