Smoothie bowls and “jheri curl soul”
Welcome to installment #12 of the Daily Breakfast Situation, your morning check-in with recipes, joy-flavored stories, and tools for The War on Spiritual Ashiness.
What’s the best thing you did yesterday?
I found spots in my apartment for five plants I inherited from a friend. I still haven’t named them. RIP Penny the Succulent, Starkeisha the purple waffle, Sister Mary Clarence the neon pothos, and Rita Louise the croton. I feel more equipped to keep this set alive.
I’ve done ballet workouts two days in a row, cooked dinner, and even cleaned my kitchen before bed, so everything feels possible right now. With ho-ass Winter bringing her raggedy, foot-faced ass back in a few months, (and knowing how colder months and darker days tend to make my spirit ashy), I’m trying to get these routines, restorative practices, and hindparts in check before Kwanzaa cake season rolls around.
*spreads 11 previous Daily Breakfast Situation posts across the table*
It’s been very starchy around here, so Bakerita has over 50 smoothie bowl ideas to get your day and your bowels moving.
50+ Smoothie Bowl Recipe Roundup * Bakerita
This Recipe Roundup brings together 50+ of my favorite Smoothie Bowl Recipes! These smoothie bowls and acai bowls are…
A few things to moisturize your spirit:
- Mr. Teyana Taylor (Iman Shumpert) was a jive turkey on live TV this week.
- Vaidehi Joshi wrote about acknowledging and recovering from burnout:
Reflections on Burnout
Burnout doesn’t happen overnight — it happens brick by brick, one decision after another.
- Every purchase at Coffee, Hip-Hop and Mental Health in Chicago, IL funds therapy sessions for the community.
This hip-hop coffee shop pays for free therapy, one cup at a time
A Chicago coffee shop that focuses on mental health wants to make sure its customers have a place to "talk about hard…
- Salsa queen Celia Cruz is getting a new Barbie. ¡Azúcar!
The Queen of Salsa, Celia Cruz, Is Being Honored With A New Barbie By Mattel
Just in time for Latinx Heritage Month! Mattel recently announced their new Barbie, honoring the Queen of Salsa, Celia…
- Here’s what happens when kids meet former members of the Black Panther Party
- Get your curl activator. Here’s one of my favorite mixes from one of my favorite DJs, described as “The Illest in Jheri Curl Funk, Champagne Soul and Lazer Boogie.” Shoutout to DJ Stylus.
- Mack Wilds opens up about navigating dark days and suicidal ideations while raising his daughter and showing up for his family
See you tomorrow.
If you could benefit from space to reflect, write, and doodle about mental and emotional wellness, download GetSomeJoy’s four free Literary Therapy Exploration Workbooks right here.
Alexander Hardy is a grits-powered writer, home cook, dancer, lupus survivor, and co-founder of GetSomeJoy, a creative wellness agency. He supports communities and organizations with joy-flavored wellness trainings, experiences, and campaigns as a wellness program facilitator. Alexander does not believe in snow or Delaware.