Flexible Careers: Benefits of Working from Home Forever
With so many great flexible work opportunities out there, you can craft a career with the ultimate flexibility and freedom to fit your lifestyle.
First published at https://www.get5.io/blog
Earning a steady paycheck and indulging in the pleasures of working in your slippers and flannel pajama pants may have seemed elusive and unlikely before the pandemic. Now, it’s absolutely normal and even preferable to work your nine-to-five completely remote!
Thanks to post-pandemic software shifts and platforms like Zoom, businesses can afford to have their employees communicate and work from anywhere. If you want a career where you can take time off, work from home, and financially succeed, it’s time to explore the benefits of flexible work.
Advantages of a Flexible Career
There are tons of life benefits to remote work and having the flexibility to take time away from the office. Communicating through online platforms such as Zoom, Teams, and Slack keeps office relationships and responsibilities efficient despite not being in the same location. Some of the significant advantages of remote work include:
- A more balanced life: Remote jobs come with a flexible schedule, and employees are able to create and organize their day in a way that makes the most sense to them. This comes in handy when you have family commitments and other personal responsibilities. Whether it’s helping the kids with school or actually having time to exercise, you have better control over your life while working from home.
- Better mental health: Remote work can be a blessing in disguise when it comes to your mental health. Although some people feel lonely or isolated without regular office interactions, many people have benefitted from less stress from not being in the office. Additionally, you no longer have to deal with toxic co-workers who may drain your energy and productivity at work. Mental health as a remote worker is always a work in progress, remember to use your flexible schedule to better allocate more time to activities that improve it such as meditating or journaling.
- Greener initiatives: Instead of commuting to the office, you’ll save the Earth by working from home. When you don’t have to drive or use public transport everyday, you can significantly cut down on your own carbon footprint. There will also be less offices using air conditioning, heating, and lighting on a large scale when workers are remote. By choosing a flexible career, you can help the environment and reduce your own impact.
Financial Advantages of Flexible Work
Remote work saves companies and their employees money in the long run. Companies benefit from less overhead costs such as renting office space or buying equipment, and they can put the money they save back into their teams. Employees end up saving on childcare, takeout meals, and their wardrobe. Other financial advantages are outlined below.
- Transportation costs: Car maintenance, public transportation, parking fees, and other costs are eliminated from your spending entirely when you work from home. Traveling far distances to work can be pricey as each day’s transportation costs add up. When you don’t have to travel to work, the savings can add up quickly and leave you with money to spend on other needs or desires.
- Geographic freedom: When working remotely, you have the ability to work from wherever you want. You can become a digital nomad and travel from place to place while keeping a steady income. Staying in places that have a low cost of living can help you save your money and live frugally. You also have the advantage of getting your ideal job and salary because you aren’t limited by your location. Working for a company that can pay well while also choosing to live in a cheaper area will put more money in your pocket at the end of the day.
- Foregoing office party obligations: Going out to costly lunches or dinners with your colleagues is a great way to take a break from work, but if they’re not covered by your company, these costs add up quickly. Additionally, more office functions happen remotely and for free! Zoom happy hours can happen without needing to buy food or drinks, and you can easily organize online team building games for free.
Flexible Careers that Pay Well
When deciding on a flexible career, there are many paths in various industries that can be explored. For example, positions that can easily leverage technology to accomplish work will be great places to start. Take into account your skill set, educational background, and experience when considering a career change. No matter your resume, there’s definitely a flexible career out there for you.
If you’re ready to quit your job the second they require everyone to be in the office, it’s smart to start your search now. Peruse these flexible jobs to get an idea of different paths and how salary can vary.
- Data scientist: Master’s degree required, average hourly rate $49.97
- Genetic counselor: Master’s degree required, average hourly rate $43.13
- Graphic designer: Bachelor’s degree required, average hourly rate $25.66
- Web designer: Associate’s degree required, average hourly rate $37.12
- Personal trainer: High school diploma or equivalent required, average hourly rate $19.48
- Plumber: High school diploma or equivalent required, average hourly rate $27.08
Having the freedom to create your own schedule, balance your work and home life, and be comfortable in your work environment will help you get the most out of your life and career. You won’t have to deal with the stresses of traffic jams on the way to work or have to buy a suit or dress to wear into the office. With so many great flex work opportunities out there, you can craft a career with the ultimate flexibility and freedom to fit your lifestyle.
All visuals courtesy of Mint
About the author
Pia De Los Reyes is a writer and content creator. She has an M.A. in Communication and specializes in writing for the personal finance, career, business, and lifestyle spaces. When she’s not creating content online, she loves cooking a new recipe or reading poetry in the park.
Read More Articles
20 Hottest Startups You Need to Know About Right Now | Blog | Hi5
The startup realm is an incredibly exciting space, with new players popping up globally on a weekly basis in the hopes…
Focus - A Leader's Imperative | Blog | Hi5
There is one thing that continues to stand out for me as the key to focus anytime and anywhere: be crystal clear about…