A Day in Utrecht
- Utrecht is a small-ish city located roughly an hour outside of Amsterdam. The train system in the Netherlands is super simple to use (not that cheap, but cheap enough) such that it is really easy to get over and visit Utrecht. We came for the day and left with lots of awesome experiences.
- The city is much like Amsterdam, but a lot quieter and not completely overrun by touristy activities.
- After leaving the train station, we headed to Dom Square (the center of the town). On our way we came across a really tasty Turkish restaurant and had a snack before making into the denser part of the city.
- Dom Square is famous for its Church and Clocktower. We went in both!
- The Church is free to enter and reminds me of pretty much any other European Church. There is some impressive stained glass but that is pretty much it. Right next door is the Clocktower, it costs a few bucks but the view at the top is really worth it (you get to see the entire city).
- Because we were only in the city for the day, we did not have time to explore the famous Utrecht tunnels. I have heard cool things about them, wish we budgeted the time (and made some reservations) in advance. Otherwise, I think we did a good job with the time we had and made the most of our short stint in Utrecht. I would recommend coming if you want to get away from the crowds in Amsterdam.