This is probably one of the most challenging video for me to put together given the breath of solutions GCP has to offer. Hey, I’m not even happy with the title which doesn’t encompass everything covered in the video, but hopefully this can give you a sense of what one can do with GCP when it comes to storing and processing data.
Cloud Storage is really a wonderful basic but reliable and flexible service with one API across multiple storage classes, from Coldline to Multi-Regional.
BigQuery is still everyone’s favorite when it comes to instant gratification. “Data + SQL = Insights” is just a great recipe for success and the recent BQML and GIS capabilities are only making it awesomer.
SQL is soon turning 50 and still going strong and Cloud SQL is a fully-managed relational database service for both MySQL and PostgreSQL. Reliability, security, backups, and scale up can be handed over to Google, letting you focus on the data and apps that use it.
Google also offers Cloud Spanner, a horizontally-scalable, strongly-consistent, relational database as a service. Make sure to check out this truly innovative technology that defies the CAP theorem and that many Google services run on!
In the NoSQL department, Cloud Firestore is a highly-scalable and strongly-consistent schema-less database offering real-time updates and offline support for mobile developers.
Cloud Bigtable will complement your storage options with a petabyte-scale, fully-managed NoSQL database service suited for high-throughput workloads offering consistent sub-10ms latency!
Check out this decision tree to understand which is the best database for you!
GCP has numerous other data-related products, some particularly innovative, so be sure to consider :
- Pub/Sub for producing and consuming messages globally, across all GCP zones and regions.
- FileStore for applications that require a filesystem interface.
- “Cloud Memorystore for Redis” provides a fully managed in-memory data store service that is ideal to build application caches with sub-millisecond data access.
- Cloud Dataflow to build and execute unified batch and streaming pipelines using the Apache Beam programming model.
- Dataprep to make sure your data scientists are not spending 90% of their time cleaning up data instead of processing it.
- …and DataStudio for interactive dashboards and engaging reports.
Check out the entire GCP Essentials playlist here.