This week in Google Cloud-“Hallo Frankfurt, SSL for App Engine, hardening your buckets, and introducting Forseti”
Welcome to europe-west3! A new German GCP region is open now with three zones and many services.
The best customers are probably those who also contribute back to the community. Introducing Forseti, a new Open Source community started by Spotify and Google to host GCP security tools. See also Spotify’s take.
Speaking of security, here are 4 steps for hardening your Cloud Storage buckets. Most people would call the default behavior pretty secure but being able to harden it is important.
It’s been a long time coming for some old-time users but now Managed SSL for Google App Engine is here for everyone to make their app and the web more secure.
Plenty of how-to posts this week :
- Performing prediction with TensorFlow object detection models on Google Cloud Machine Learning Engine (Google Blog)
- How to build a website on Google App Engine using a headless CMS like ButterCMS (Google Blog)
- Installing and using Apache Airflow on the Google Cloud Platform (lemag.sfeir.com)
- Starting w/ Google Cloud Platform APIs (The “Missing Tutorials” series)(medium.com)
- Deploying ASP.NET Core apps on Kubernetes/Container Engine (medium.com)
- Firebase — Use the Cloud Functions shell (to emulates all types of function triggers) (Firebase documentation)
- Kubernetes The Hard Way Explained — Chapter 1 Prerequisites for Google Cloud Platform (GCP) (container-solutions.com)
From the ICYMI department :
- Introduction to TensorFlow Datasets and Estimators (Google blog)
- Labeling CryptoKeys — goo.gl/1Wu4mX (Google documentation)
- HTTPS Load Balancer — Using multiple SSL certificates (Google documentation)
- Determine which subnets are visible to Cloud Routers with dynamic routing mode (Google documentation)
- Assign a range of IP addresses as aliases to a VM’s primary network interface (Google documentation)
- 51 public datasets and counting (Google Cloud Console Launcher)
- Catatumbo (Open Source ORM framework for Cloud Datastore) version 2.3.0 is now available (catatumbo.io)
- I got a golden ticket: What I learned about APIs in my first year at Google (medium.com)
From the “customers talk best about GCP” department :
- Schlumberger chooses GCP to deliver new oil and gas technology platform (Google blog)
- Carousell runs online classifieds marketplace that supports millions of MAUs on GCP (cloud.google.com)
From the “I like audio and video best” department :
- The Cloudcast #312 — Istio Routing & Load-Balancing (thecloudcast.net)
- GCP Podcast episode #94 BigQuery Under the Hood with Tino Tereshko and Jordan Tigani (gcppodcast.com)
- BigQuery: Managed storage for analytics (Jordan Tigani)(atscaleconference.com)
The picture of the week is the Forseti logo :
That’s it for this week!