This week in Google Cloud Platform — “Next ’18, a k8s Comic, and @JeffDean ”
20k attendees expected in San Francisco next July — “Announcing Google Cloud Next 2018”. Save the date!
Some GKE (Google Kubernetes Engine) announcements to go along with KubeCon :
- Manage Google Kubernetes Engine from Cloud Console dashboard, now generally available. Visual Kubernetes dashboards FTW.
- With Google Kubernetes Engine regional clusters, master nodes are now highly available. Not just HA master, but HA clusters!
… and a somewhat less expected comic :
- Smooth Sailing with Kubernetes (a Kubernetes Comic). Check out the interactive shell and test in CloudShell !
More GCP announcements :
- BigQuery announces support for customer managed encryption keys and custom roles for Identity Access and Management
- Cloud Video Intelligence and Cloud Natural Language Content Classification are now generally available. Check out Sara’s updated keynote demo from Google Next 2017
- New solution — Get started using MPI and R together in an HPC Cluster with Slurm running on Google Compute Engine
More Cloud, Big Data, and ML news :
- Announcing Core ML support in TensorFlow Lite (developers.google.com)
- Announcing the General Availability of containerd 1.0 (blog.docker.com)
- Apache Beam, version 2.2.0 (beam.apache.org), is now available, with new IOs, experimental SQL support, and other improvements
- Weave Cloud is now available for free on Google Cloud Platform (go.weave.works)
- Cloud Spanner named CRN product of the year (crn.com)
From the “badass women company” department :
- Diane Greene named in The Bloomberg 50
- Please Welcome Diane Bryant to Google Cloud
- Microsoft CFO sees Google’s cloud as a threat and praises its chief: ‘She’s always been a winner’
From the “Customers talk best about GCP” department :
- Building a better GIPHY with Google Cloud’s machine learning tools (Google blog)
- Machine learning at Spotify: You are what you stream (oreilly.com)
- How Pokemon Go needed a Kubernetes powered Java cloud (theserverside.com). Also mentions Dataflow and other data tools.
- How to get real-time, actionable insights from your Fastly logs with Looker and BigQuery (Google blog)
- Big Data Analytics in the Google Cloud (linkedin.com), by Chief Data Office at HSBC Global Banking
- METRO AG, Viessmann and BOTfriends move onto Google Cloud (Google website)
- Play by Play: Moving the NYT Games Platform to GCP With Zero Downtime (open.nytimes.com)
This past week’s GCP Podcast (#000106) is a discussion with New York Times’ Deep Kapadia and JP Robinson.
From the FOMO department :
From the “How-to” department :
- Analyzing tweets using Cloud Dataflow pipeline templates (Google blog)
- Quick Install of Forseti Security on Google Cloud Platform (medium.com)
- Istio Deep Dive with Dan Berg and Zack Butcher (YouTube.com)
- Introduction to Kaggle Kernels (YouTube.com)
From the “In case you missed it (ICYMI)” department :
- [Beta] Alias IP Ranges Overview. Multi-zone GKE cluster and seamless upgrade
- [Beta] Creating a VM Instance from an Instance Template
- [GA] Google Cloud SDK 182.0.0
- [GA] Dataproc Restartable jobs
- [GA] Dataflow SDK 2.2.0 Release Notes — Java, Python
@JeffDean (’nuff said)
This week‘s picture has to be the Kubernetes Comic :
That’s it for this week!