TWiGCP — “Bigtable goes global, Cloud Storage new pricing model, and TF 2.0 Alpha”
Here are the main stories for this past week :
“Take control of your Kubernetes clusters with CSP Config Management” (Google blog). Create and manage a consistent configuration for your Kubernetes resources in a multi-cluster setup.
“Go global with Cloud Bigtable” (Google blog). Increase the availability and durability of your data by copying it across multiple regions or multiple zones within the same region.
“How does your cloud storage grow? With a scalable plan and a price drop” (Google blog). Cloud Storage has had technical excellence for a little while (one API with flexible storage classes, secure and durable, among other things), and now this pricing model should only help more customers use it at scale.
“Qwiklabs — Data Analysis quest” (google.qwiklabs.com). Use the code
3g-bigquery-785 to get the first lab free! Get started on learning how to query petabytes and even start to build machine learning models.
“Simplify enterprise threat detection and protection with new Google Cloud security services” (Google blog). Introducing Web Risk API; Cloud HSM going beta; and new Cloud Armor features..
From the “Tensorflow 2.0 Alpha is here” department :
- Test Drive TensorFlow 2.0 Alpha (medium.com)
- Experiment with TensorFlow 2.0 right away with GCP Deep Learning VM Images (cloud.google.com)
From the “collaborating with Open Source projects to make them and GCP better” department:
- Data analytics, meet containers: Kubernetes Operator for Apache Spark now in beta (Google blog)
- New file checksum feature lets you validate data transfers between HDFS and Cloud Storage (Google blog). Making the case that end-to-end data integrity is better than point-to-point or client-side
From still my favorite “Customers and partners talk best about GCP” department :
From the “addressing specific use-cases with battle-tested solutions” department :
- Deploying and managing an Elastifile Cloud File System cluster with Terraform (cloud.google.com)
- Building a render farm in GCP using OpenCue (Google blog)
- Analyzing portfolio risk using HTCondor and Compute Engine (cloud.google.com)
From the “making ML work for you” department :
- Zombies & Model Rot (with ML Engine + DataStore) (towardsdatascience.com)
- Does everyone hate your tweets? Google Cloud Platform NLP can help! (medium.com)
From the “Certification from someone who’s taken it” department :
From the “ask the experts” department :
- Ask a Techspert: What is quantum computing? (blog.google)
- What exactly is Knative? an introduction with Evan Anderson from Google (serverless-architecture.io)
From the “Beta, GA, or what?” department :
- [GA] Cloud SDK 237.0.0
- [GA] Cloud HSM
- [GA] Cloud Asset Inventory
- [Beta] Web Risk API
- [Beta] Cloud Bigtable replication
- [Beta] Kubernetes Operator for Apache Spark
From the “all things multimedia” department :
- [Book] Google BigQuery: The Definitive Guide (oreilly.com)
- [Video] new “This Week in The Cloud” series (youtube.com)
- [Video] Top 5 takeaways from TensorFlow Dev Summit 2019 (youtube.com)
- [Video] GCP Essentials — Developer and Management Tools (youtube.com)
- [Podcast] Kubernetes Podcast Episode #43 — Borg, Omega, Kubernetes and Beyond, with Brian Grant (kubernetespodcast.com)
- [Podcast] GCP Podcast Episode #165 — Python with Dustin Ingram (gcppodcast.com)
That is all for this week! -Alexis