Welcome to the weekly Google Cloud Platform newsletter, served every Monday from medium.com/google-cloud/weekly !
Here are the main stories for this past week :
“Process paperwork pronto with the new Google Docs API”(Google blog). Google Docs is a great place to collaborate and now you can use the flexibility of an API to do even more!
GCP Network tiers (GCP Documentation). Premium or Standard? Get control over network costs if you’d like!
“From CCIE to Google Cloud Network Engineer: four things to think about” (Google blog). Networking in the cloud era and key GCP best practices.
“How Box Skills can optimize your workflow with the help of Cloud AI” (Google blog). Vision API and Cloud Functions at work, all with code provided.
“Predicting Customer Lifetime Value with Cloud ML Engine: introduction” (Google blog). As with any GCP Solution this one comes with code and full details.
“Jib 1.0.0 is GA — building Java Docker images has never been easier” (Google blog). Idiomatic down to how you build docker images without installing docker or even writing a Dockerfile.
From the “lift-and-shift or cloud-native, there’s a solution for you” department :
- Streaming data from Cloud Storage into BigQuery using Cloud Functions (cloud.google.com)
- IBM Db2 Warehouse deployment strategies on Google Cloud Platform (cloud.google.com)
- Monitoring home appliances from power readings with ML (Google blog)
From the “certifications from those who take them” department :
From the “MNIST on TPU and Cloud ML Engine serving” department :
From the “how about spending some time on a (free) quality codelab?” department :
- Cloud Bigtable codelab on importing data in a sequence file, querying data, & best practices for schema design (g.co/codelabs/cloud)
From still my favorite “Customers and partners talk best about GCP” department :
- How ProjectZen, an open source collaboration tool, uses GCP (medium.com)
- A Google Cloud partner shows how they built a custom business intelligence dashboard using only GCP products and services (Google blog)
From the “automate with scheduling” department :
- Introducing scheduled snapshots for Compute Engine persistent disk (Google blog)
- Run cron jobs reliably on Compute Engine with Cloud Scheduler (Google blog)
From the “this week in Serverless” department :
- Serverless: Everything You Need to Know About Google Cloud Functions (thenewstack.io)
- Hands on Knative — Part 2 (medium.com)
From the “Beta, GA, or what?” department :
- [GA] Cloud SDK 234.0.0
- [GA] Cloud ML Engine — Using TPUs to Train your Model
- [GA] Managed instance groups and autohealing
- [Beta] C++ Cloud Storage Client Library
- [2.10.0] Apache Beam 2.10.0
From the “all things multimedia” department :
- [Podcast] Kubernetes Podcast Episode #40 — GKE Usage Metering, with Madhu Yennamani (kubernetespodcast.com)
- [Podcast] GCP Podcast Episode #162 — Voicea with Mohamed El-Geish (gcppodcast.com)
- [Video] Cloud Build — Create a CI/CD Pipeline (youtube.com)
- [Video] Getting Started with App Engine Python (youtube.com)
- [Video] GCP Essentials — The Cloud Console Tour (youtube.com)
That is all for this week!