TWiGCP — “Cloud Services Platform (CSP) hits beta, ML APIs here for all, and Alooma”
Feb 25th, 2019
Welcome to the weekly Google Cloud Platform newsletter, served every Monday from medium.com/google-cloud/weekly !
Here are the main stories for this past week :
“Cloud Services Platform — bringing hybrid cloud to you” (Google blog). CSP is now open to everyone in beta. If you’re currently using Kubernetes or running a hybrid of on-prem and in-the-cloud, you now have a powerful tool to modernize existing apps at your own pace.
“Jib 1.0.0 is GA — building Java Docker images has never been easier” (Google blog). Jib offer an idiomatic experience in building docker images without installing docker or even writing a Dockerfile.
“Google announces intent to acquire Alooma to simplify cloud migration” (Google blog). Alooma are data migration and integration experts. More support when migrating to the cloud and building data pipelines.
“Google Cloud Certified Grand Challenge” (qwiklabs.com). Get certified by March 31th and win a free ticket to Next ‘19
“Analyze this — expanding the power of your API data with new Apigee analytics features” (Google blog). Which customers are using my APIs? How do I categorize my customers? Should I monetize my APIs? Apigee has the answers.
“Announcing Knative v0.4 Release” (medium.com). Now with additional protocol support — HTTP2 and gRPC, and the ability to upgrade an inbound HTTP connection for WebSocket.
“Making AI-powered speech more accessible — now with more options, lower prices, and new languages and voices” (Google blog). Multi-channel speech-to-text recognition, more voices (roughly doubled), more languages in more countries (up 50+%), and at lower prices (by up to half in some cases).
From the “if you’re a frequent reader of this newsletter you really should attend Next ‘19” department :
- “Google Cloud Next ’19 breakout sessions guide now available” (Google blog)
From the “have questions? BigQuery probably has the answers” department
- “Finding the real top Stack Overflow questions” (medium.com)
- “BigQuery’s HOFFA index, and the ROI of clustered tables” (medium.com)
From the “Cloud Native and Knative” department :
- “Google Cloud Platform Hybrid Management” (medium.com)
- “Developing With Containers Done Right” (medium.com)
- “Gloo, by Solo.io, is the first alternative to Istio on Knative” (medium.com)
- “Hands on Knative — Part 3” (medium.com)
From still my favorite “Customers and partners talk best about GCP” department :
- “Next Limit” Case Study (cloud.google.com)
- “Colopl open sourced a Cloud Spanner driver for Laravel framework” (medium.com)
From the “IoT-to-Cloud, step by step” department :
From the “have you checked the Google Cloud publication on Medium?” department :
- “How to make a self-destructing VM on Google Cloud Platform” (medium.com)
- “Impossible read and write isolation phenomena with Cloud Spanner” (medium.com)
- “Google Cloud Platform Security Operations Center Data Lake” (medium.com)
From the “Beta, GA, or what?” department :
- [GA] Cloud SDK 235.0.0
- [GA] Managed Instance Groups Autohealer
- [GA] 128 persistent disks per VM
- [GA] Cloud IoT Core Gateways
- [GA] GKE Audit Logging
- [Beta] Cloud Storage Bucket Policy Only
- [Beta] Creating scheduled snapshots for persistent disk
- [Beta] Adding or Resizing Persistent Disks — 16KB block
From the “all things multimedia” department :
- [Podcast] Kubernetes Podcast Episode #41 — Cloud SQL with Amy Krishnamohan (kubernetespodcast.com)
- [Podcast] GCP Podcast Episode #163 — Ingress, with Tim Hockin (gcppodcast.com)
- [Video] Stackdriver with Kubernetes — Stack Doctor (youtube.com)
- Developing Event driven Applications with Google Cloud Functions (youtube.com)
- New “GCP Networking End-to-End!” video series (youtube.com)
That is all for this week!