TWiGCP — “App Engine Python 3.7 and a new CloudShell editor to kick off 2019”
… and we’re back!
Here are the main announcements for this past week :
We’re kicking off the year with a shiny new idiomatic GA runtime for App Engine:
- Python 3.7 for App Engine is now generally available (Google blog)
- Introduction App Engine’s new Python 3 Runtime (youtube.com)
.. and a new beta version of Cloud Shell Web Editor, this time Theia-based (cloud.google.com)
These GCE and Cloud Spanner enhancements were also announced before the holidays :
- “New for Persistent Disk and Compute Engine: Control the storage location of your disk snapshots” (Google blog). Does what is says to meet data residency and business continuity requirements.
- “Cloud Spanner adds enhanced query introspection, new regions, and new multi-region configurations” (Google blog). Introspection on query statistics and new region configs.
DORA joins Google Cloud (devops-research.com).
Welcome Jez Humble and team!
We’re accepting more participants for our Alpha to run arbitrary stateless containers on the Google Cloud Functions infrastructure (services.google.com)
From the “get your feet wet and your hands dirty” department :
- Ahmet Alp Balkan’s “Introduction to Knative” codelab from KubeCon (g.co/codelabs)
- New Qwiklabs Quest available: IoT on Google Cloud (Google blog)
From the “GCP on Medium, from developer for developers” department :
- The hidden super powers of Stackdriver Logging (medium.com)
- Using BigQuery ML to Predict Car-Share Availability (medium.com)
- SQL or ML? The same dataset, two ways (medium.com)
- App Engine standard in Go: en route to 1.11 (medium.com)
- Google Chat Bot + Go (medium.com)
- GPS/Cellular Asset Tracking using Google Cloud IoT Core, Firestore and MongooseOS (medium.com)
- Serverless Continuous Integration and OTA update flow using Google Cloud Build and Arduino (medium.com)
- Firebase: Developing an App Engine service with Python and Cloud Firestore (medium.com)
From the “there are new folks discovering GCP every day” department :
- Google Cloud — Jumpstart, Tutorials & Community! (linkedin.com)
From the “best practices all around” department :
- Cloud Functions pro tips: Retries and idempotency in action (Google blog)
- Best practices for enterprise organizations (cloud.google.com)
- Exploring container security: Let Google do the patching with new managed base images (Google blog)
- 5 Tips to Become a Google Cloud Certified Professional Architect (thenewstack.io)
From the “Swiss-army knife” department :
- BloomRPC — GUI Client for gRPC Services (github.com)
- GitHub — alexvanboxel/reactor: Reactor is a microservice designed to test and experiment with observability of microservices (github.com)
From the “Beta, GA, or what?” department :
- [GA] Deep Learning VM
- [Beta] Cloud Identity for Customers and Partners (CICP)
- [Beta] VPC Service Controls (VPC-SC)
- [Beta] Per-Function Identity - Cloud Functions Documentation
- [Beta] (Theia-based) Cloud Shell Editor
From the “all things multimedia” department :
- [Podcast] THE ARCHITECHT SHOW Ep. 82: Kelsey Hightower on keeping up with cloud-native and helping companies make smart choices (architechtshow.com)
- [Podcast] Kubernetes Podcast Episode #34 — Kubernetes CVE-2018–1002105, with Jordan Liggitt (kubernetespodcast.com)
- [Video] Knative, serverless, Kubernetes, and developer conferences — Interview with Burr Sutter (youtube.com)
- [Video] Deploying a Content Management System to App Engine with Python 3 (youtube.com)
- [Interview] Aparna Sinha, Google Cloud | KubeCon 2018 (youtube.com)
That is all for this week!