TWiGCP — “Back from KubeCon ’18 NA — Istio, Knative, gVisor, just to name a few”
Here are the main announcements for this past week :
Mark your calendar: Google Cloud Next 2019 (Google blog) April 9–11, 2019 at Moscone Center in San Francisco. Registration is now open. Be there or be square!
Given this was KubeCon ’18 week in Seattle, most of the GCP announcements are Cloud Native-related:
“Accelerate your app delivery with Kubernetes and Istio on GKE” (Google blog). Think services first with Istio and try it out on GKE today (with mTLS).
From the “Knative momentum in just a few months” department :
- Knative: bringing serverless to Kubernetes everywhere (Google blog)
- Knative momentum continues, hits another adoption milestone (opensource.googleblog.com)
To illustrate the Kubernetes-related topics just listed above, check out this short screencast on going from zero to GKE + istio + Serverless add-on.
From the “gVisor recent announcements” department :
- gVisor system call test suite (github.com)
- gVisor support as an addon in the latest Minikube 0.31.0 release (github.com)
“Announcing Cloud DNS forwarding: Unifying hybrid cloud naming” (Google blog). New forwarding capability for Cloud DNS to help your resources find each other via DNS, whether they are in the cloud or on-prem. #hybrid
From the “ML performance numbers across the board” department :
- “MLPerf benchmark establishes that Google Cloud offers the most accessible scale for machine learning training” (Google blog)
- “Now you can train TensorFlow machine learning models faster and at lower cost on Cloud TPU Pods” (Google blog). This includes TPU pods with up to 512 cores. Training ResNet in 7.9 minutes, 27 times faster AND 38% cheaper than the biggest 8 GPU rig you can get in cloud.
Staying with machine learning, here’s “Deep reinforcement learning on GCP: using hyperparameters and Cloud ML Engine to best OpenAI Gym games” (Google blog). Training many jobs in parallel using Cloud ML Engine’s hyperparameter managed tuning service.
From the “Firebase how-to” department :
- Deploy to your site using the Firebase Hosting REST API (Firebase docs)
- Serverless Applications with Firebase (infoq.com)
From the “Using GCP there’s a checklist for that!” department:
- 8 out of Grace’s 9 GCP checklists are out; check them out if you’re serious about GCP (medium.com)
From still my favorite “Customers and partners talk best about GCP” department :
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP) Migration | LiveRamp (liveramp.com)
- Cloud Functions + BigQuery = Data Feed Automation (e-nor.com)
From the “Angular server-side rendering and virtual workstation solutions” department :
- Perform Angular server-side (pre-)rendering with Cloud Build (Google docs) #SEO #mobileperf
- Creating a Virtual Linux Workstation (Google docs)
- Creating a Virtual Windows Workstation (Google docs)
From the “Beta, GA, or what?” department :
- [GA] Cloud SDK 228.0.0
- [GA] Cloud Vision API Detect Handwriting (OCR)
- [GA] Export Billing Data to BigQuery
- [GA] Node.js 8 on App Engine Standard
- [Beta] GCF per-function identity
- [Beta] Understanding GKE Cluster Resource Usage
- [Beta] Modifying Cloud Pub/Sub subscription expiration policies
- [Beta] Cloud IoT Gateways
- Apache Beam 2.9.0 (beam.apache.org)
- Kubeflow 0.4 — Release Update & What’s Coming (medium.com)
From the “all things multimedia” department :
- [YouTube] Watch “Seattle ’18: KubeCon + CloudNativeCon” (youtube.com)
- [Podcast] Serverless Management and Knative — The Cloudcast (thecloudcast.net)
- [Podcast] GCP Podcast Episode #159 — End of Year Wrap-up (gcppodcast.com)
- [Podcast] Kubernetes Podcast Episode #33 — Envoy, with Matt Klein (kubernetespodcast.com)
That is all for this week!