TWiGCP — “Better Spring GCP, Cloud IAP, and OpenCue”
Here are the main stories for this past week :
“Announcing Spring Cloud GCP 1.1: deepening ties to Pivotal’s Spring Framework” (Google blog). Spring Data now integrates with Cloud Spanner and Cloud Datastore (just one of the new nifty features).
“Protecting your cloud VMs with Cloud IAP context-aware access controls” (Google blog). Granularity is the name of this security game, this time adding support for TCP services such as SSH and RDP.
“Google Cloud introduces new certifications and training to address the cloud skills crisis” (Google blog). The most relevant new certifications for this audience are Network Engineer and Security Engineer (both in Beta), and Cloud Developer (GA).
“Introducing OpenCue, an open source render manager for media and entertainment” (Google blog). This is the future of Sony Pictures Imageworks’ Cue 3, now developed in collaboration with Google on GitHub under the Apache 2 license.
“Do you have an SRE team yet? How to start and assess your journey” (Google blog). The Site Reliability Workbook is now available in HTML !
In other news, Google has been named a Leader in the 2019 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Data Management Solutions for Analytics (cloud.google.com)
From the “Solutions to common use-cases” department :
- Federating Google Cloud Platform with Active Directory (cloud.google.com)
- Setting up Chrome Remote Desktop on Compute Engine (cloud.google.com)
From the “behind the technical scenes” department :
- Istio Routing Basics (medium.com)
- App Engine Standard (2nd gen) Docker images and application builders (gcr.io)
From still my favorite “Customers and partners talk best about GCP” department :
- Twitter migrates data to Google Cloud to keep the world tweeting (cloud.google.com)
- BigCommerce transforms the retail experience for more than 60,000 merchants using Google Cloud Platform (Google blog)
- Otto Group CLASH: an open-source tool to run bash scripts directly on GCP (Google blog)
- Build an AI-powered, customer service virtual agent with Chatbase (Google blog)
From the “following up on the beta release of Go for Cloud Functions” department :
From the “automate all the things” department :
From the “right tool for the right ML job” department :
- GCP Machine Learning Face-off: BigQuery ML -vs- Custom Estimators in TensorFlow (medium.com)
- Seamlessly Integrated Deep Learning Environment with Terraform, Google cloud, Gitlab and Docker (towardsdatascience.com)
From the “Beta, GA, or what?” department :
- [GA] Cloud SDK 231.0.0
- [GA] Creating a VM Instance with a Custom Hostname
- [GA] Cloud Spanner regional instances in London and Sydney
- [1.13.0-rc0] Tensorflow 1.13.0-rc0
From the “all things multimedia” department :
- [Podcast] Kubernetes Podcast Episode #37, Prometheus and OpenMetrics, with Richard Hartmann
That is all for this week!