TWiGCP— “Dialogflow & PostgreSQL going GA. ImageNet training for the price of a dinner (in SF)”
This week from the “graduations and announcements“ department :
- Dialogflow Enterprise Edition is now generally available (Google blog). SLA and v2 API inside, with 30 supported languages and locales. Check out the customer stories and see also the Dialogflow blog.
- Cloud SQL for PostgreSQL has now reached general availability (GA)(Google blog). This release offers high availability (99.95%), replication, numerous extensions, and up to 416GB of RAM. Onwards to more CloudSQL database support and yet more PostgreSQL extensions.
- Introducing kaniko: Build container images in Kubernetes and Google Container Builder without privileges (Google blog). Early but promising days.
- New Google Cloud datacenters are fun, new datacenters with GCP’s best services are funner — “BigQuery arrives in the Tokyo region” (Google blog).
- Improving the Google Cloud Storage backend for HashiCorp Vault (Google blog). Now also offering Cloud Storage as a backend, HA, and other new features.
You can now train ImageNet to 93% accuracy in <7.5 hours for <$50 on Google Cloud TPU (dawn.cs.stanford.edu). The best non-TPU result comes out at 14.6 hours (~2X the time) and ~$358 (~7X the cost)
From the “inspirational” department :
- Why building on an environmentally responsible cloud matters (Google Cloud)
- Detecting cancer in real-time with machine learning (YouTube)
From the “how to” department :
- Kubernetes best practices: How and why to build small container images (Google blog). This is part of a new video series. Subscribe!
- Exploring container security: Protecting and defending your Kubernetes Engine network (Google blog)
From the “GCP coverage elsewhere” department :
- REST and gRPC Side by Side In New Google Endpoints Documentation (apievangelist.com)
- BigQuery lazy data loading: DDL, DML, partitions, and half a trillion Wikipedia pageviews (medium.com)
- Introducing column based partitioning in BigQuery (shinesolutions.com)
- Launch GKE cluster with Containership Cloud (YouTube)
While Istio has popularized the term “Service Mesh” this InfoQ panel may help you get an even better understanding of the concepts it encompasses — “Microservices Communication and Governance Using Service Mesh” (infoq.com)
From the “In case you missed it (ICYMI)” department:
- [Beta] HTTP(S) load balancing backend service — User-defined request headers
- [GA] Enabling Nested Virtualization for VM Instances
- [Beta] View Cloud Source Repositories API activities in Stackdriver logging
GCP Podcast latest episode #123 is “Post-Quantum Cryptography with Nick Sullivan and Adam Langley” (gcppodcast.com)
This week‘s picture is taken from the “environmentally responsible cloud matters” post:
That’s it for this week!