TWiGCP — “EU Transfer Appliance, CERN, Knative progress, and a leadership change”
Here are the main announcements for this past week :
“Introducing Transfer Appliance in the EU for cloud data migration” (Google blog). Fighting data gravity with the right tools.
“Subatomic particles and big data: Google joins CERN openlab” (Google blog). This sounds like great achievements to come about minuscule things.
“Announcing Knative v0.2 Release” (medium.com). Actually v0.2.x with Serving, Build, and now Eventing.
“Google Cloud Functions Security: Now With FunctionShield Protection” (puresec.io). Enforce strict security controls on your Google Cloud Functions.
“Google Cloud first to offer NVIDIA Tesla T4 GPUs” (Google blog).
“Transitioning Google Cloud After Three Great Years” (Google blog). Diane Greene stepping down, Thomas Kurian as new Google Cloud lead.
From the “if you don’t know where to start with Google Data Processing offering” department :
- New report examines the economic value of Cloud Dataproc’s managed Spark and Hadoop solution (Google blog)
- Help for slow Hadoop/Spark jobs on Google Cloud: 10 questions to ask about your Hadoop and Spark cluster performance (Google blog)
From the “hands-on user reports” department :
- IoT on Google Cloud at scale — Nick Ord (medium.com)
- Handling Sensitive Data on the Google Cloud Platform (blog.ml6.eu)
- JHipster microservices with Istio service mesh on Kubernetes (medium.com)
- Modern Frontend CI/CD Architecture — The Missing Guide (Part. 1) (medium.com)
From the “fun with datasets” department :
- When will Stack Overflow reply: How to predict with BigQuery (medium.com)
- Machine learning on machines: building a model to evaluate CPU performance (medium.com)
From the “some pro tips from Google” department :
- Cloud Functions pro tips: Using retries to build reliable serverless systems (Google blog)
- Getting started with Kubeflow Pipelines (Google blog)
- [Solution] Black Friday Production Readiness (cloud.google.com)
- Taking charge of your data: Using Cloud DLP to find and protect PII (Google blog)
From the “you know what they say about a (good) picture” department :
- Quick sketch explaining Google Cloud Scheduler (twitter.com)
From the “Beta, GA, or what?” department :
- [GA] Cloud SDK 225.0.0
- [GA] Cloud Spanner — Viewing Query Statistics in the Console
- [Beta] Compute Engine — Detaching and Reattaching Boot Disks
- [Beta] Google Transfer Appliance in the EU — TA100
- [Beta] Cloud Dataproc — Determining who submitted a job
- [Beta] Cloud Dataproc — Presto Top-Level Component
- [Alpha] NVIDIA T4 on GCP
From the “all things multimedia” department :
- [Podcast] Kubernetes Podcast Episode #29 — Workloads API and KubeCon, with Janet Kuo (kubernetespodcast.com)
- [Podcast] GCP Podcast Episode #155 — Confluent and Kafka with Viktor Gamov (gcppodcast.com)
- [Video] Getting Started with TensorFlow.js (youtube.com)
That is all for this week!