TWiGCP — “Stackdriver IRM and CloudNAT in announcement wave. Also, customer technical use-cases galore”
With Cloud Next making the London stop last week, the announcement and customer sections are particularly dense this week. Here we go:
From the “SRE-tools-for-all announcement” department:
- “Building a more reliable infrastructure with new Stackdriver tools and partners” (Google blog). Stackdriver IRM — Google SRE tools now available to all. Check out the demo. This also features integrations with Blue Medora and Grafana Labs.
From the “Identity and access management announcements” department:
- “Helping organizations increase visibility and control of cloud resources” (Google blog). This will help you, for instance, restrict VM creation to specific regions and constraint sharing of your GCP resources to a limited set of organisations.
- “Simplifying identity and access management for more businesses” (Google blog). Cloud Identity for Customers and Partners (CICP), secure LDAP in Cloud Identity, and context-aware access in Cloud Identity-Aware Proxy (IAP).
From the “data storage announcements” department :
- “Store it, analyze it, back it up: Cloud Storage updates bring new replication options” (Google blog). A new dual-regional option and more!
- “Develop and deploy apps more easily with Cloud Spanner and Cloud Bigtable updates” (Google blog). DML for Cloud Spanner and a read/write JDBC driver. ‘nuff said.
From the “effective and flexible software-defined networking announcements” department :
- “Introducing container-native load balancing on Google Kubernetes Engine” (Google blog). So long iptables. This also works with Kubernetes on GCE.
- “Simplifying cloud networking for enterprises: announcing Cloud NAT and more” (Google blog). This highly-available NAT solution enables provisioning VMs without public IP addresses while still allowing them to access the internet.
From the “BigQuery announcements” department:
- “What’s happening in BigQuery: a new ingest format, data type updates, ML, and query scheduling” (Google blog)
- “BigQuery arrives in the London region, with more regions to come” (Google blog)
From my favorite “customers speak best about GCP” department :
- What’s up with GitLab.com? Check out the latest data on its stability (about.gitlab.com)
- King Case Study (cloud.google.com)
- How METRO AG is migrating its SAP finance systems to Google Cloud (Google blog)
- Ubisoft, Google Cloud and Psycle demonstrate the power of machine learning, lay the ground for automated hieroglyphics translation (blog.ubi.com). What’s not to like about Cloud AutoML and hieroglyphs?
- How ZSL is working to protect at-risk animals and foster healthy ecosystems with the help of Google Cloud (Google blog)
- How Traveloka built a Data Provisioning API on a BigQuery-based microservice architecture (Google blog)
From the “How-to” department :
- Serverless in action: building a simple backend with Cloud Firestore and Cloud Functions (Google blog)
- TensorFlow & reflective tape : am I bad at basketball ?🏀 (towardsdatascience.com)
- Deploying a Python serverless function in minutes with GCP (medium.com)
- Wrapping Google Cloud Functions HTTP Triggers in Endpoints (medium.com)
From the “Kotlin is amazing on the server too” department :
- Google Cloud Platform Kotlin landing page (cloud.google.com)
From the “everyone loves a managed Kubernetes comparison” department :
- Google GKE vs Microsoft AKS vs Amazon EKS (kubedex.com)
From the “Beta, GA, or what?” department :
- [GA] Cloud SDK 220.0.0
- [GA] GKE Private clusters
- [GA] Preemptible Cloud TPU
- [GA] Cloud Spanner Data Manipulation Language Syntax
- [GA] Cloud Spanner JDBC driver
- [Beta] Cloud TPU v3
- [Beta] GKE Network Endpoint Groups — load balance directly over pods
- [Beta] Cloud IoT Core Device Logging
From the “all things multimedia” department :
- GCP Podcast #150 — Strange Loop, Remote Working, & Distributed Systems with KF (gcppodcast.com)
- Kubernetes Podcast #024 — Spinnaker, with Steven Kim (kubernetespodcast.com)
- Watch and learn: Kubernetes and GKE for developers (Google blog)
- Getting Started with TensorFlow.js (youtube.com)
- Google Cloud Next ’18 London: Day 1 Keynote (youtube.com)
- Google Cloud Next ’18 London: Day 2 Keynote (youtube.com)
This week’s picture is from Hieroglyphics Initiative, a research project launched by Ubisoft and Google:
Check out more in this blog post.
That is all for this week!