TWiGCP — “Cloudy Zurich, SRE @ Coursera, and not your average Pi day”
Here are the main stories for this past week :
“New GCP region in Zurich: Growing our support for Swiss and European businesses” (Google blog). This new region has three availability zones and it is the 6th region in EMEA and 19th Worldwide.
“Site Reliability Engineering: Measuring and Managing Reliability” (Coursera). SRE is Google’s DevOps implementation and this new Coursera course is *the* place to learn more.
Google Cloud Technology Partners (cloud.google.com). Check out which resources partners have access to, starting with our SLO Guide.
“The service mesh era: Using Istio and Stackdriver to build an SRE service” (Google blog). How to easily surface application metrics with Istio and Stackdriver Monitoring with a step-by-step tutorial to follow.
From the “if you like data and basketball, this is nirvana” department :
- “Let the queries begin: How we built our analytics pipeline for NCAA March Madness” (Google blog)
- “Turning data into NCAA March Madness insights” (Google blog)
- “Fitting it in: Adjusting Team Metrics for Schedule Strength” (medium.com)
From the “Continuous Build|Integration|Deployment|Delivery” department :
- Introducing the Continuous Delivery Foundation, the new home for Tekton, Jenkins, Jenkins X and Spinnaker (opensource.googleblog.com)
- NodeJS Continuous Deployment in Google Cloud with Kubernetes & Container Builder (dev.to)
- Release with confidence: How testing and CI/CD can keep bugs out of production (Google blog)
From the “I bet your Pi day wasn’t anything like Emma’s Pi day” department :
- How Emma Haruka Iwao broke the Guinness World Records title for the most accurate value of pi (blog.google)
- Pi in the sky: Calculating a record-breaking 31.4 trillion digits of Archimedes’ constant on Google Cloud (Google blog)
From the “another busy week across all of GCP” department :
- Google Cloud named a leader in the Forrester Wave: Big Data NoSQL (Google blog)
- Editing Quick Tip: Simpler GKE authentication from Cloud Build (medium.com)
- Help stop data leaks with the Forseti External Project Access Scanner (Google blog)
- Exploring container security: four takeaways from Container Community Summit 2019 (Google blog)
- Reconcile Your Monthly GCP Invoice with BigQuery Billing Export (medium.com)
- BigQuery for Data Science (towardsdatascience.com)
From the “Beta, GA, or what?” department :
- [GA] Cloud SDK 238.0.0
- [GA] Instance Group Updater
- [GA] VPC Service Controls for GCS, BigQuery, Bigtable, Logging, Pub/Sub, and Dataproc
- [Beta] Profiling Python code (GCE, GKE, GAE)
- [Beta] Set budgets on forcasted costs
- [2.11.0] Apache Beam 2.11.0
From the “all things multimedia” department :
- [Podcast] Kubernetes Podcast Episode #44 — Continuous Delivery Foundation, with Tracy Miranda (kubernetespodcast.com)
- [Podcast] GCP Podcast Episode #166 — SAP HANA with Lucia Subatin and Kevin Nelson (gcppodcast.com)
That is all for this week!