TWiGCP — “Bigger better VMs, Elastifile on GCP, and Memorystore Redis 4.0”
If you came here from This Week in Google Cloud’s video series, here are the links for the topics covered this week :
- Introducing Compute- and Memory-Optimized VMs for Google Compute Engine. Up to 416 vCPU and 11,832 GB. Sign up for early access!
- Scale storage out with new Elastifile Cloud File Service for GCP.
This joint engineering effort with Elastifile is now available in GCP Marketplace.
- Cloud Memorystore: Now with Redis version 4.0 support and manual failover API.
Enjoy the latest Redis with added manual failover API and OpenCensus-collected traces and metrics in this beta release
- Want repeatable scale? Adopt infrastructure as code on GCP
- Migrating your traditional data warehouse platform to BigQuery: announcing the data warehouse migration offer.
This includes proof-of-concept funding support, expert advice on architecture design, and online courses
Other GCP stories for this past week include :
- Announcing the Cloud Healthcare API beta: Improving data access and shareability across organizations (Google blog)
- Introducing Lustre file system Cloud Deployment Manager scripts (Google blog)
- ML Kit expands into NLP with Language Identification and Smart Reply (firebase.googleblog.com)
- Deploying production-ready GitLab on Google Kubernetes Engine — (cloud.google.com)
- A quick hop across the pond: Supercharging the Dunant subsea cable with SDM technology (Google blog)
From this week’s “Cloud Native” department :
- The service mesh era: Istio’s role in the future of hybrid cloud (Google blog)
- “Hybrid Cloud — Linking GCP with on-premise datacenters” (medium.com)
- “How to Deploy MongoDB on Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE)” (medium.com)
From still my favorite “Customers and partners talk best about GCP” department :
- Why We Moved to Google Cloud Platform, in Two Slides (medium.com)
- How fuboTV built a cloud-native streaming platform with GCP (Google blog)
From the “Medium Big Data” department :
- “Which BI tool for Big Query ?” (medium.com)
- “Persisting Application History from Ephemeral Clusters on Google Cloud Dataproc” (medium.com)
From the “April’s fool (or is it?)” department :
- “Google Tulip: The Technical Details” (medium.com)
From the “Beta, GA, or what? (and probably a tiny tiny subset of what’s coming this week)” department :
- [GA] Cloud SDK 240.0.0
- [GA] Monitoring quota metrics
- [GA] New Cloud Functions Locations
- [Beta] Cloud Memorystore for Redis 4.0
- [Beta] Cloud Healthcare API
- [Beta] VPC Service Controls
- [Beta] Managed Instance Groups Updater Status API
- [Beta] Private DNS peering
- [Beta] Private DNS logging
- [1.1.2] Istio 1.1.2 and 1.0.7 with Important Security Update (istio.io)
- [0.4] OpenMatch 0.4.0
From the “all things multimedia” department :
- [Podcast] Kubernetes Podcast Episode #47 — Tekton, with Kim Lewandowski (kubernetespodcast.com)
- [Podcast] GCP Podcast Episode #169 — StackRox with Connor Gilbert (gcppodcast.com)
- [YouTube] Protect Your Google Cloud Instances with Firewall Rules
- [YouTube] Cloud MemoryStore for Redis and OpenCensus
That is all for this week!