TWiGCP — “KMS client libs, IoT Device SDK, and CSP Config Management”
Welcome to the weekly Google Cloud Platform newsletter, served every Monday from medium.com/google-cloud/weekly !
Here are the stories for this past week :
“Google Cloud Platform Fundamentals: Core Infrastructure Training”. Every day new users, maybe your colleagues, take their first GCP steps. With presentations, demos, and hands-on labs, this class is for them.
“Coursera — Google Cloud”. The self-paced training courses (GCP Fundamentals and many others) from Coursera remain very popular, especially if you’re planning on a certification.
“Automating infrastructure with Cloud Composer”. Meet Apache Airflow managed by Google (using GKE) in this new step-by-step solution. This tutorial shows you how to automate backups of Compute Engine VM instances.
“Kickstart your cryptography with new Cloud KMS client libraries and samples”. The new GCP KMS client libraries are here! These gRPC-based libraries are more language-idiomatic and include a large collection of sample code for all languages!
“Making AI-powered speech more accessible”. Speech-to-text, Text-to-speech — more features, more voices, more languages, better accuracy, and lower prices!
“Introducing the Cloud IoT Device SDK” (Google blog). Embedded C libraries to connect, provision, and manage devices with Cloud IoT Core.
“Take control of your Kubernetes clusters with CSP Config Management” (Google blog). The logical next step after last week’s Cloud Services Platform (CSP) beta announcement.
From still my favorite “Customers and partners talk best about GCP” department :
- Taranis: Helping farmers to feed the planet with cutting-edge drone imaging and AI (cloud.google.com)
- Recursion Pharmaceuticals accelerates drug discovery with Google Cloud (Google blog)
- How Auto Trader UK, the UK’s largest automotive marketplace, uses Istio and Google Kubernetes Engine to drive change (Google blog)
- Exploring container security: How DroneDeploy achieved ISO-27001 certification on GKE (Google blog)
- BUTIK.: Tailor-made business intelligence solutions with BigQuery (cloud.google.com)
- OpenVPN: Enabling access to the corporate network with Cloud Identity credentials (Google blog)
From the “considering your options” department :
- “Running Redis on GCP: four deployment scenarios” (Google blog)
See whether Cloud Memorystore, GKE, or Compute Engine works best for you.
- “Google Cloud Platform Container Threat Detection And Protection” (medium.com)
From the “we can make those ML stacks even more efficient” department :
- “Let Deep Learning VMs and Jupyter notebooks burn the midnight oil for you: robust and automated training with Papermill” (Google blog). The deep learning VM is created for the duration of the run.
- “Train fast on TPU, serve flexibly on GPU: switch your ML infrastructure to suit your needs” (Google blog)
From the “are you paying attention to statistical computing?“ department :
- “R at scale on the Google Cloud Platform” (code.markedmondson.me)
- “RStudio and BigQuery in under 30 minutes” (medium.com)
From the “taking ML to fields and places” department :
- Creative analysis at scale with Google Cloud and machine learning (cloud.google.com)
- Monitoring home appliances from power readings with ML (Google blog)
From the “new landing page for everything GCP and Gaming” department :
- Building Games with Google Cloud (cloud.google.com)
From the “GCP is meeting customers where they are” department :
- Federating GCP with Azure Active Directory (cloud.google.com)
- Get fast, reliable messaging with IBM MQ on Compute Engine (Google blog)
From Doug’s “Firebase & Google Cloud” department :
- “What’s different with Cloud Firestore?” (medium.com)
From the “Beta, GA, or what?” department :
- [GA] Cloud SDK 236.0.0
- [1.12] GKE 1.12.5 Clusters are now available
- [Beta] Cloud Bigtable multi-region replication
- [Beta] VPC importing and exporting custom routes
- [v0.9.1] TensorFlow Extended
From the “all things multimedia” department :
- [Video] Developing DataStudio connectors (DataVis DevTalk: S01) (youtube.com)
- [Video] Alerting with Stackdriver — Stack Doctor (youtube.com)
- [Podcast] Kubernetes Podcast Episode #42 — Policy and Config Management, with John Murray (kubernetespodcast.com)
- [Podcast] GCP Podcast Episode #164 — Node.js with Myles Borins (gcppodcast.com)
That is all for this week!