What’s Next for Material Design’s Theming Tools
Material Design retired the Material Theme Editor. The Material Plugin will continue to serve as a way to upload and sync Sketch files with Gallery
Since launching Material Theming in 2018, we’ve learned a lot about what designers and developers need in order to customize Material Components’ typography, color, and shape. We’ve heard members of the Material community ask for tools that go beyond Sketch, work on any platform, are more usable for developers, and easily integrate with existing source files.
And that’s what we want to deliver.
On March 19th, we retired the Material Theme Editor in order to focus on building even better theming tools and resources. The Material Plugin will continue to serve as a way to upload and sync Sketch files with Gallery — our collaborative tool for uploading design work, getting feedback, and tracking revisions. We’ve got some exciting updates planned for this plugin, so stay tuned.
In the meantime, here are a few theming resources you can use right now:
Design kits and tutorials
- Design a dark theme using Figma*
- Download the design kit for Sketch*
- Get the baseline design kit for Figma*
- Get the dark theme design kit for Figma*
- Pick colors with the color palette generator
- Create color schemes with the color tool
- Create shape schemes with the shape customization tool
- Choose typography with the type scale generator