Have you ever wondered what goes into making a great engineer? Have you ever looked at a fellow developer and thought gosh they look crispy, how did they achieve that crunchy golden exterior with soft pillowy insides? Did they use goose fat or vegetable oil? Well, look no further as we’ve been meddling away in the Gousto test kitchen to bring you the exact recipe for success as a Gousto engineer!
Don’t worry if this is your first time making a great engineer, we love a bit of proactive self-development here at Gousto, so give this recipe a try!
Oh and we recommend you serve this with a pinch of salt.
Ingredients (Makes 1 Engineer)
- Before we get started, have a look around and identify any opportunities for you to learn and improve. DevOps? Testing? Agile? We know no one is perfect and it’s great if you acknowledge this too, this kind of self-awareness goes a long way at Gousto!
- Speaking of self-awareness, chop up any personal egos and discard them (unfortunately they cannot be recycled).
- Put 1 Growth Mindset in the oven at 200℃ for 20 minutes. Combine with Gousto’s Competency Matrix and Software Engineering Skills Matrix for an even bake. The Growth Mindset should end up doubling in size.
- In a bowl, combine the baked Growth Mindset with 1 or 2 Stretch Goals. These should mix together to create an even, pliable delivery path. Set aside to be signed off.
- Add 2 tbsp Curiosity and 100ml Attention To Detail to a bowl with your Repositories in. Combine with 50g Lean Development to allow for optimal impact and least wastage.
- In a clean tray, layout your fellow engineers and cover with a good glug of Care. They should end up evolving in shape, if they wither then you may need to use more Care.
- Plate up the Growth Mindset, Gravy of Solutions and cover with the dressing of Curiosity. Et voilà! You have a great engineer!
- Encourage others to give feedback on this delicious new engineer! Seeking and receiving feedback is a key part of being a great engineer.
GIVE IT SOME GOUSTO.
P.S. We’re hiring, come and join our crispy engineering team!
Harshna Patel, Senior Software Engineer
My cooking style centres around marshmallowy code reviews and fragrantly spiced documentation.
I could previously be found foraging in the visual effects industry and others, using primarily Python and some dashes of Golang, C++ and DevOps tools & processes.
Kyle Braithwaite, Senior Platform Engineer
My world consists of fluffy AWS clouds and supporting the buttery biscuit foundations used by the Gousto Tech team which is mainly made up of Python and CloudFormation (delicious!).
In the past, I was in the moreish world of digital media and entertainment supporting the development of digital products using lots of AWS and Terraform.