Here’s a checklist that’ll come in handy when you have to move in.
Moving into a new home is a big step and during this exciting transition, there are so many things you need to accomplish. To make sure the moving process goes smoothly, Greyloft has compiled a moving checklist that will help you keep track of everything from A to Z.
2 months out
- If you are using a mover, contact several moving companies to get a quote.
- If you are moving on your own, contact several truck rental companies to get a quote.
- Make a home inventory.
- Sell or donate items you no longer need.
- Create a spreadsheet of moving paperwork and expenses.
- Arrange to transfer your children’s school records.
- If you have pets, get veterinary records and take pets for immunisation if necessary.
- Ensure all personal and financial records are accounted for.
- Keep important documents such as birth certificates, passports, insurance, medical, dental, legal, and academic records.
- Choose a mover or van rental company.
6 weeks out
- Schedule the moving company if you plan to use a mover.
- If moving on your own, make sure you book the moving van.
- Change your address with the postal office and use mail forwarding.
- Notify important parties of your move such as banks, brokerage firms, credit card, insurance, and utility companies.
- Order moving materials such as boxes, bubble wrap, packing tape, and other supplies.
- Start to pack seasonal clothing, sports gear, and other items that are not in immediate use.
- Arrange for special travel arrangements for kids and pets, if necessary.
4 weeks out
- Begin packing and organise boxes.
- Label the boxes accordingly with their contents and the place they are destined for.
- Pack and label “essentials” boxes of items you’ll need right when you move in.
- Send school records to new school, if necessary.
1 week out
- Confirm date and time of packing and moving if using a mover.
- Confirm moving truck if you’re moving on your own.
- Pack the rest of your things.
- Confirm travel arrangements.
- Pack a travel kit.
- Make sure you have on hand the following: credit cards, cash, traveler’s checks, and foreign currency and documents such as passports, birth certificates, ID, keys, papers for movers.
- Pack a suitcase to have essential items on hand.
One day before the move
- Continue packing the rest of the items.
- Pack a box of things that will be needed first at the new home.
- Confirm arrival time of moving van or truck.
- Confirm accommodation.
- Do a final clean up of your old home.
- Check that all things are loaded in the truck properly.
Delivery day at your new home
- Check boxes and belongings.
- Note on the inventory record any damage.
- Supervise loading and unloading of the belongings.
- Direct the placement of your items.
Originally published at Singapore Property — Greyloft’s perspectives.