After an incredible first season that saw the team fall just short of the playoffs (but we still picked up that Carolina Clasico trophy, amirite?), we now enter game week for the sophomore outing for Greenville FC. The team boasts a strong core of returning players as well as some key additions. What success lies ahead for the green and gold?
What to Watch For:
- A Fresh New Start: It’s a new season for the green and gold, but a familiar start to the schedule; a road trip to McDonough. Last year the team started a nearly unrecognizable lineup to fans who followed the team in that first match. But this season there is familiarity. With the same coaching staff and a core of returners, I expect Greenville to get off to a quicker start this season.
- Returners: In my opinion, the best unit in this Greenville side is going to be their defense. With Paul “The Wall” Tyson in goal, and a back line consisting of Aiden Wixted, David Koprowski, Michelangelo Dovidio, and Toby Sims, I expect teams to struggle to score against them.
- New Guys: With the loss of attacking pieces like Jesus Ibarra and Malcom Frago, I am interested to see where the goals will come from on this team. Two guys I am excited about in particular are Clemson’s leading goal scorer from last season Adrian Nunez, and Anderson University’s leading scorer Lars Kaula.
Key Players for Georgia Revolution:
- Jack Gurr — defender: New year. Old nemesis. Jack Gurr is a defensive beast. He is also the man I love to antagonize with giant six-foot cardboard cutouts of his middle school Facebook pictures. And after my #Gurr2GVL campaign failed to lure him away from the Revs, I am back to full-on head games. I see you Jack. I see you!
- Deon McCaulay — forward: McCauley may be the guy who burned Greenville the most in the team’s opening match last season. He set up most, if not all, of the Revs 3 goals that helped them secure victory. He will be a guy to keep an eye on during this match.
- Rodrigo Conclaves — defender: Similar to McCauley, Conclaves also gave Greenville fits in their two matchups last season.
The CASHINHO “Take It To The Bank” Prediction:
Greenville went on the road this week to scrimmage a Charleston Battery team that currently sits in fifth place in the USL Championship’s eastern conference. While they were down there, they decided to bring a W back to the upstate. That tells me all I need to know about this team’s preparedness level heading into the season. Last year, the Revs beat up on a brand new team with almost no chemistry to open the season and handed Greenville a 3–1 loss. This year, I say we offer up a little payback.
Georgia Revolution: 1 — Greenville FC: 3
The match will take place at Henry County High School in McDonough, GA at 7:30pm EST on Saturday May 4, 2019. Tickets can be purchased HERE. The game will be streamed. Stay tuned to Greenville FC’s Twitter account for the link closer to kickoff.