Published in


Bitcoin Reaches New Milestone With 90% of Total Supply Mined

With Bitcoin block #714.032, which was mined at 23:26 UTC, December 13, 2021, Bitcoin reached 90% of the total supply that has now been mined. This process will take tens of years to get close to the limit.

More specifically, 18.9 million BTC have been mined until now, 13 years after miners acquired the first-ever bitcoins, on the 3rd of January 2009 by Satoshi Nakamoto. Bitcoin’s supply has a limit of 21 million coins. Since its inception in 2009, the value of Bitcoins has grown a million-fold over a decade. The other 10% is expected to happen until February 2140.

GX Blocks

About 83% of all Bitcoin that will be created has already been released within 12 years of its creation.

Bitcoin Halving

The bitcoin halving happens approximately every four years. Halving is an event or process, when this happens the number of new bitcoins entering circulation shrinks, as the reward for solving every next block is cut in half. It is important to note that halving also cuts in half Bitcoin’s inflation rate.

The mining difficulty will continue to increase while the mining reward is reduced by half every four years. Now miners receive about 6.25 bitcoin for every mined block. This number will drop by half in 2024. The bitcoin’s inflation will approach zero, due to this process as time goes on.

As we already mentioned, the last halving is estimated to happen in 2140, after which the block rewards will not take the form of bitcoins. When this happens, miners will be rewarded with the transaction fees, as people buy, sell and transfer bitcoins. So miners have an incentive to continue processing blockchain transactions.

It makes sense for prices to reflect increased supply as demand for newer bitcoin increases.

It is estimated that by the early of the 2030s almost 97% of Bitcoin will have been mined, and the other 3% will come into existence over the expected year, 2140.

GX Blocks

If you enjoyed this article make sure to follow GX BLOCKS for more educational content around blockchain technology.

Our mailing address: info@gxblocks.net

Subscribe to our Newsletter to stay updated here.

GX Blocks Energy — Official Website: www.gxblocks.com

Twitter | LinkedIn

Copyright © 2021 GX BLOCKS ENERGY S.A.



Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store