Crunchy Chickpea Trail Mix
To boost protein and scale back on fat, this trail mix calls for oven-roasted chickpeas instead of nuts. With the addition of dried fruit, dark chocolate chips, and toasted seeds, this recipe has a great balance of sweet, savory, and crunch.
Makes 5 ½ cups
Active Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Cook Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
3 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained (about 4 ½ cups)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp agave syrup
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp orange zest
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp chili flakes
1/2 cup goji berries
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
1/2 cup dried cranberries, unsweetened
1/2 cup coconut flakes, toasted
2 tbsp white sesame seeds, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
2. Rinse the chickpeas to remove the canning liquid. Spread them out evenly on an unlined baking sheet. Pat them try using a paper towel.
3. Roast the chickpeas for 20 minutes, tossing them halfway through to ensure even roasting and browning.
4. While the chickpeas are roasting, add the olive oil, maple syrup, salt, and 1 ½ tsp of the chopped rosemary to a large bowl. Stir to combine.
5. Remove chickpeas from oven and let cool for 2 minutes. Carefully add them to the oil mixture. Toss until the beans are evenly coated.
6. Transfer the chickpeas back to the baking sheet. Continue to bake for another 20 minutes, tossing them after 10 minutes to ensure even roasting.
7. In a large bowl, add the remaining ½ tsp rosemary, orange zest, cayenne pepper, and chili flakes.
8. Turn off the oven. Remove chickpeas from the oven and add to the rosemary and spice mixture. Toss to combine.
9. Transfer chickpeas back to the sheet pan and place in the turned-off oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Check the texture after 45 minutes; the chickpeas should be crunchy and hollow inside.
10. While chickpeas are in the oven, add the goji berries, dark chocolate chips, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, coconut flakes, and sesame seeds to a clean bowl.
11. Remove chickpeas from the oven. When completely cooled, add to the bowl. Toss to combine.
12. For maximum freshness, store trail mix in a sealed bag or a container with a tight lid.
Tips & Notes:
Roasted chickpeas make a delicious protein-packed snack or topping on salads. In this recipe, the chickpeas are dehydrated in the oven for an hour after the heat is turned off. This allows the chickpeas to dry out slowly without burning or charring. The result is crunchy chickpea that can keep at room temperature for a few days.
Nutritional Facts (based on approx. ⅓ cup serving size):
Calories 225, Fat 9g, Saturated Fat 4g, Carbs 28g, Fiber 7g, Sugar 11g,
Protein 8g, Sodium 120mg