The Ultimate Hackathon Packing Checklist
So you’re going to a hackathon this weekend and you’re wondering what to bring? Here is your guide for the ultimate hackathon packing checklist…
- Laptop & charger
- Phone & charger
- Music if you have a separate device for music ipod/mp3 player..
- Headphones (noise cancelling is recommended if you have)
- Deodorant I would go as far as saying that this is more important than your laptop….
- Toothbrush & toothpaste
- 1 t-shirt (yes I said ONE! most probably you will be getting tons of new t-shirts at the event)
- 1 pair of underwear (x2 if a 36–48 hour hackathon)
- 2–3 pairs of socks
- Depending on the weather 1 pants/1 shorts +- sweatpants (x2 if a 36–48 hour hackathon)
- Towel depending on if the hackathon offers showers or not — you are usually inform of this only a few days before the event if they will provide showers or not
- Anti-bacterial wipes
- Sleeping bag/blanket/pillow
- Reusable water bottle
- Allergy medicine
- Playing cards
- Sleeping mask
- USB key(s)
- Pepto bismol
- Bonus: dry shampoo !
- Yoga mat
- Hardware — if you might want to work on a hardware hack first check if the hackathon is MLH affilated, ask the organizers if they will be receiving the hardware lab at their event. Check it out! They have some pretty neat stuff. Also, ask the organizers if they themselves will be providing breadboards, soldering station, etc! Unlike a software hack a hardware hack needs a bit of of planning beforehand to ensure you will have all the equipment you will need.
- Small bag for swag