JSFoo has moved to 26–27 October
The policy-implementation divide, ReactFoo Delhi proposals and more upcoming events on this week’s newsletter.
Holding a conference on the same dates would mean that many members of the community will not be able to participate. How can we host a conference without its community?
We tried our best to reschedule JSFoo to dates closer to the original dates, but drat, venues were unavailable. We also have to watch out for conveniences such as location of the venue and other crucial details that matter for participants, speakers and organizers.
Given all these considerations, JSFoo has been rescheduled to 26 and 27 October.
But.. what happens to Meta Refresh 2018?
Meta Refresh scheduled on 26–27 October will produce a parallel track with talks on front-end design and engineering. This means we have two tracks on 26 and 27 October – JSFoo as one track and Meta Refresh as the other.
We apologise if this rescheduling has caused you inconvenience. It has caused us a lot of heartache. We will strive to ensure that JSFoo and Meta Refresh will provide a great experience for all attendees.
Stay tuned for updates on the tickets, conference schedules, exciting talks and, workshops at JSFoo and Meta Refresh 2018.
The gap between policy and implementation: the case of data privacy
Recent debates on technology and policy have made it evident that the gap between conceptualising regulation and implementation is very vast. There are many nuances to each side — regulatory and technology — which are difficult to envision at the outset.
One of the goals of The Fifth Elephant 2018 is to bring these nuances forward when it comes to data privacy.
We present the following talks, which highlight the intricacies of data and privacy:
- Jyoti Panday talks about the “The right to be forgotten”, a crucial aspect of data privacy where the user demands that her details should be deleted. Is right to be forgotten as simple as this? What happens in the case of data analytics where data is ‘owned’ by a different entity while the analytics is performed by another? Food for thought?
- Sushant Sinha (forthcoming) will present the issue of case law data and the challenges that opening up such data poses for privacy. If your legal history is available online, as open data, will this will be acceptable to you, to others around you?
- Shivam Shankar Singh draws on micro-targeting, carried out in elections. He draws our attention to all the sources where our personal data are available for political parties to prepare their electoral strategies.
Makes you curious? There’s more coming at this year’s edition of The Fifth Elephant.
Date: 26 and 27 July
Venue: NIMHANS Convention Centre, Bangalore
We are overwhelmed, seriously! Thanks for all the love for ReactFoo Delhi
If you are wondering where our feelings of being overwhelmed are coming from, head over to the ReactFoo Delhi talkfunnel.
We have received a lot of high quality proposals for this edition. Thank you to the community for showing your support for React in Delhi.
The schedule is filling up fast. Deadline to submit proposals is this weekend, 30 June. Make the most of the time you have, and submit a proposal to speak!
Date: 18 August
Venue: India International Centre (IIC), Lodhi Road, New Delhi
Building React-Redux application by TDD
Have you used Facebook’s create-react-app to build your own application? Kunal Hire shows you how you can build a leave management system using React-Redux in his comprehensive blog post.
Check out the approach he followed, the issues along the way and best practices.
On our radar
Startup Window: Smart Building
NUMA is back with another Startup Window in partnership with 91Springboard. The theme for this edition is “Smart building”. The event aims to bring actors from various fields to create value for everyone and showcase path-breaking innovations to the ecosystem.
Date: 28 June 2018
Time: 6:00 PM — 9:00 PM
Venue: NUMA Bengaluru
AI Day @Treebo
If you’re interested in exploring the various themes around cutting-edge AI and lessons learnt from productionizing them, drop in for a single day event at Treebo Hotels.
Date: 30 June 2018
Time: 10:30 AM — 4:00 PM
Location: Treebo Hotels, AMR Tech Park, Block 1, Hosur Main Road, Bommanahalli, Bangalore
IoT Unplugged: Hands on workshop for beginners
Our friends at Devopedia are organising a 1-day hands-on workshop where you get to work with actual hardware, write and understand code with guidance from experts, and learn key skills to implement your IoT ideas.
Date: 30 June 2018
Time: 9:30 AM — 5:30 PM
Venue: Texas Instruments, Bagmane Tech Park, Bangalore
- Bangalore 13 June — UI Developer Tailorman
- Bangalore 7 June — Senior Front-end Developer (React) BookMyShow
- Pune 4 June — Front end developer Cyphertree Technologies Pvt Ltd
- Bangalore 22 June — UI Engineer with React Js skilld.in
- Chennai 13 June — Lead Engineer-Front End Auzmor Technology Pvt Ltd
Calendar of events
- Deep Learning Bootcamp — 23–24 July, Bangalore
- Math for Data Science — 28 July, Bangalore
- Bootcamp: Learning representations of text for NLP — 28–29 July, Bangalore
- Make your own DL framework — 29 July, Banglaore