A Kefir Holiday Treat To Add To Your Baking List!
Being healthy during the holidays is one of the most difficult things. However, it doesn’t have to be that way! Try out this healthier recipe for a nice holiday treat that you can have in the morning, afternoon, or night!
Gingerbread Kefir Muffins:
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ⅓ cup molasses
- 1 pasteurized egg
- ½ cup real maple syrup
- ½ cup light sour cream
- ½ cup Vanilla Kefir
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger paste (sub 1 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Turbinado sugar for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray or butter. Melt the coconut oil so it’s in liquid form. In a small bowl, whisk the liquid coconut oil with the molasses.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, maple syrup, sour cream, kefir, and ginger. Let the mixture come to room temperature so that you can easily add the the coconut oil (30–40 seconds in the microwave is fine if you’re rushed). When it’s at room temperature, add the coconut oil and molasses from step one. The coconut oil should stay liquified.
- Add the flours, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir a few times until just combined. Scoop into a muffin tin and sprinkle the tops with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 17–20 minutes or until the tops are puffy and firm to the touch. Cool for a few minutes before serving.
End Result should look something like this: