Cheesy Tuesday: Mac & Cheese Style
When we think of Mac & Cheese, that blue Kraft box usually comes to mind. It’s cheesy, delicious, but let’s be real-it’s not all that healthy for you. So, we’ve come up with our own recipe that allows you to still get that classic dish you love, just a little healthier! It’s full packed of your favorite flavors, and our favorite ingredient-Kefir. With the addition of this probiotic filled ingredient, you cannot go wrong!
Healthy Mac & Cheese:
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 ounces whole wheat macaroni (whole wheat pasta is a great addition of protein!)
- 1/2 cup onion-garlic puree
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shredded 50 percent reduced-fat cheddar
- 1/3 cup plain Latta Kefir
- 1/4 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Mist an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set it aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook according to package directions, drain.
- Meanwhile, bring onion-garlic puree, mustard, and cayenne to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often. Whisk in cheddar until melted. Remove from heat and whisk in kefir.
- In a medium bowl, toss the macaroni with the cheese sauce. Season with salt to taste. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle panko over the top. Top with Parmesan.
- Bake until Parmesan is melted and macaroni is hot throughout, about 10 minutes.
Enjoy this classic, healthy, and cheesy dish!