Saturday Calls For Pizza, The Healthy Kind Of Course
What’s better than pizza after a long work week? We can’t think of anything, and neither should you. Instead, relax after your stressful week and whip up this delicious home-made pizza! It’s the perfect start to the weekend, and won’t take you long at all!
Kefir Tomato Basil Pizza:
- ½ c plus 3 Tbsp plain Latta Kefir
- 1 lb pre-made pizza dough (Tip: Red Mills pizza dough is a great GF option, it needs to be prepared ahead of time but tastes great!)
- All-purpose flour for rolling
- ¼ c extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ c ricotta
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 Tbsp roughly chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 500°F. (Tip: If using Red Mills dough or another type of crust, follow those instructions for temperature). Place pizza dough on lightly floured cutting board, divide in half and set aside to warm up to room temperature, about 2 hours.
- Heat 2 T oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened, 4–5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook about 1 minute. Scrape into a medium bowl, cool and stir in 3 T kefir, thyme and ½ t salt.
- In small bowl stir together remaining kefir, ½ t salt and ricotta.
- Roll one ball of dough into a 10-inch circle, about ¼-inch thick.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and brush with remaining oil. Sprinkle with salt and spread half of onion mixture on top. Add dollops of half the ricotta mixture and finish with half the cherry tomatoes and some basil. Repeat with second dough ball.
- Bake until crust is crisp and cheese is melted and browned around edges, 10–12 minutes.
Enjoy this with a nice cold glass of Kombucha, and you’re set!