Healthy Bites: No-Guilt Big Apple French Toast Casserole
Welcome to The Associated’s Healthy Bites — where you can learn what’s cookin’ among staff.
This yummy yet healthy multi-serving treat is pretty addictive, so make it for a group so you can share all the deliciousness.
- 2 tablespoons light whipped butter or light buttery spread
- 8 slices light bread, cut into cubes
- 1 apple (preferably Fuji), cored, peeled, and diced
- 4 ounces fat-free cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups light vanilla soy milk
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar –free pancake syrup, divided
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 no-calorie sweetener packet, or more to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave butter until melted. Set aside.
- Spray an 8-inch by 8-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Place bread cubes evenly along the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle diced apple evenly over the bread.
- In a medium-large bowl, combine melted butter, cream cheese, soy milk, egg substitute, 2 tablespoons syrup, cinnamon, and sweetener. If you like your French toast pretty sweet, add an extra packet of sweetener. Using a handheld electric mixer set to medium speed, mix until lump free and smooth. Pour mixture over the bread and apple.
- Make sure bread is soaked in the liquid mixture. If needed, toss lightly to coat.
- Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes, until egg mixture is pretty firm and cooked through. (Be sure not to overcook, as bread could burn.) Let cool slightly.
- Cut into quarters and serve with remaining 1 cup syrup for dipping. Dig in!
Makes 4 servings
Per Serving: 1/4 the of recipe=232 calories, 4.25g fat, 687mg sodium, 38.5g carbs, 5.5g fiber, 8g sugars, 16.5g protein.
Source: Hungry Girl 1–2–3 by Lisa Lillien