Healthy Bites: Sweet & Tangy Watermelon Salad
Welcome to The Associated’s Healthy Bites — where you can learn what’s cookin’ among staff.
Sweet & Tangy Watermelon Salad
6 servings, about 2/3 cup each | Active Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups diced seeded watermelon
- 2 cups diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup unsalted dry-roasted peanuts, toasted (see Tip) and coarsely chopped
- Stir together vinegar and sugar in a medium bowl until the sugar almost dissolves. Add watermelon, cucumber and cilantro; toss gently to combine. Just before serving, sprinkle with peanuts.
Tips & Notes
- To toast nuts: heat a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts and cook, stirring, until lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
Per serving: 63 calories; 3 grams fat (0 grams saturated, 2 grams mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 164 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
Source: Eating Well