Crispy Beans with Greens and Poached Egg
Crispy beans tossed in a tangle of wilted lemony greens, topped with a runny-yolk poached egg- this is a one-skillet meal reminiscent of cozy dinners and will make you feel like a real superhero. Serve with thick slices of toasted sesame bread with some softened butter.
Why is it healthy?
- Eggs are one of the few foods considered to be a complete protein because they contain all 9 essential amino acids. Amino acids are considered ‘building blocks for the body because they help form protein.
- Eggs, especially the yolk, are rich in essential vitamins and minerals like iron, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin B12, folate, selenium, lutein & zeaxanthin, and choline.
- Green beans are high in vitamin K, and they also contain a decent amount of calcium. These nutrients are important for maintaining strong, healthy bones and reducing your risk of fractures.
- Spinach is rich in many nutrients, including Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, iron, folate, and potassium. Spinach is chock full of fiber. Spinach is rich in oxalate, a naturally occurring substance found in almost all plants.
Who is it for?
This recipe is for someone who is looking to eat right & healthy or even shed some pounds. Adding eggs to your diet is a great way to add up to your daily protein requirement. People who are diabetic, hypertensive (high BP), or have high cholesterol can include this recipe as a part of their main meal. Feel free to add in a side of some leftover vegetables of your choice.
⏳ Preparation Time: 15–20 minutes
🍽 Serves: 1
🥗 What you’ll need:
- Beans (rinsed & drained)- 1/2 cup
- Egg (poached)- 1
- Spinach (thinly sliced)- 1 cup
- Garlic (minced)- 1–2 cloves
- Red chilli flakes- 1/4 teaspoon
- Lemon juice- 1 tablespoon
- Black pepper powder- to taste
- Salt- to taste
- Oil- 1 teaspoon
- Firstly, heat some oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the beans and cook them undisturbed for 2–4 minutes until the beans are lightly brown at the bottom.
- Add salt to taste and cook again for 3–5 minutes by stirring as needed until the beans are golden-brown and blistered on all sides.
- Next, add in the spinach, minced garlic, and red chilli flakes and cook for about 3–5 minutes by stirring occasionally, until the spinach is wilted.
- Now, take the pan off the heat, add the lemon juice and toss to combine everything together.
- Serve the beans along with the greens in a bowl, top it with a poached egg or half-boiled egg and sprinkle some black pepper powder! Simple yet delicious, isn’t it?