Hummus is an incredibly popular dip or spread that goes well with salads, kebabs, tikka, wraps, bread, or a rice bowl. This popular and healthy dip has originated in middle eastern countries. It is very tasty and equally imparts a great flavor to your recipes. Don’t we love to have such easy recipes that also have a nutritional balance?
Why is it healthy?
- Chickpeas help control blood sugar levels, lower cholesterol, lower the risk of cancer, and aid in digestion.
- Tahini is a toasted sesame seed paste that is one of the main ingredients in preparing hummus. It acts as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. It absorbs iron, controls blood sugar levels, and prevents anemia.
- Olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fats and contains large amounts of antioxidants. It is also a very good source of polyunsaturated fatty acids such as omega-6 fatty acids and omega-3 fatty acids.
Who is it for?
People with diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol can include this recipe and enjoy it in moderation. It is packed with protein and keeps you full for longer periods. Hummus when prepared along with the addition of some other vegetables, takes the color and comes out very appetizing. Kids will love to include all the colors on their plates and no wonder they finish their breakfast/ lunch/ dinner when we give them such recipes.
⏳ Preparation Time: 20 to 25 minutes
🍽 Serves: 1
🥗 What you’ll need:
- Multigrain bread (lightly toasted)- 2 slice
- Home-made green/ carrot/ beetroot hummus- 4 tbsp
- Cucumber (thinly sliced)- 1/4 cup
- Lettuce leaves (cut to size)- 2 to 3
- Pickled veggies- optional
- Combine the tahini and lemon juice in the bowl of your food processor and process for about 1 minute.
- Then add, olive oil and parsley/ roasted beetroot/ roasted carrot, chopped garlic, and salt to the whipped tahini and lemon juice mixture. Process for about 1 minute. Add boiled chickpeas to the food processor and process for 1 minute or until the hummus is thick and quite smooth.
- Adjust consistency with water as required.
- Assemble the sandwich, and spread a hearty layer of hummus onto each slice of toasted bread. Top one slice with a layer of cucumbers, followed by lettuce and some pickles (optional).
- Place the second slice of bread hummus-side down on top of the other slice.
- The hummus sandwich is ready. Enjoy!