Quinoa Risotto with Mushrooms and Spinach
Risotto is an authentic Italian dish that is made out of mostly Italian arborio rice. But, here we are with an amazing twist to the regular risotto by adding quinoa instead of rice. This recipe is naturally gluten-free, but quinoa is an extra healthy ingredient that has numerous health benefits. The mushrooms and spinach give an add-on flavor to the recipe.
Why is it healthy?
- Quinoa contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory plant compounds and is higher in dietary fiber than many other grains.
- It is naturally gluten-free and great for people with gluten intolerance.
- It is referred to as complete protein as it contains all the essential amino acids and provides 8 grams of protein per one cooked cup of quinoa.
- Mushrooms contain antioxidants, beta-glucans, and some important minerals like copper, potassium, and B vitamins.
- Spinach is another good source of potassium, which helps in lowering blood pressure.
- It also contains lutein, an antioxidant known to protect against eye-related diseases such as macular degeneration and cataracts.
Who is it for?
Quinoa risotto with mushrooms and spinach is a perfect dish for people with diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels. This dish provides all the major nutrients essential for the body with some health benefits. The consistency of the dish is soft, making it suitable for elders too. People with gluten intolerance can indulge in this recipe.
⏳ Preparation Time: 25–30 minutes
🍽 Serves: 1
🥗 What you’ll need:
- Quinoa (soaked)- 1 cup
- Mushrooms sliced (you can use a mix of Swiss brown, oyster, shiitake, and black fungi)- 1/4 cup
- Spinach (chopped)- 1/4 cup
- Olive oil- 1/2 tablespoon
- Garlic cloves (minced)- 2 to 3 cloves
- Onion (chopped)- 1/4 cup
- Vegetable/ Chicken stock- 2 to 3 cups
- Fresh thyme- 1 teaspoon
- White wine vinegar- 1/2 tablespoon
- Parmesan (grated)- 2 tablespoon
- Pepper powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Heat some oil in a medium skillet, saute the chopped onion and garlic until the onions turn translucent.
- To this, add sliced mushrooms and saute until they are cooked but still a bit firm.
- Next, add soaked quinoa and toss well with mushrooms and stir well. Add vinegar at this point and mix well.
- Turn down the heat and add the stock 1 cup at a time, and keep stirring continuously
- Once all the liquid has been reduced, add the rest of the ingredients: thyme, spinach, and parmesan cheese. Stir well for a few minutes, and then remove from the heat.
- Quinoa risotto with mushroom and spinach is ready. Serve immediately with extra chives and parmesan. Enjoy! :)