Spicy Tofu Burrito
Tofu has a firm, soft, and custard-like texture that takes the flavors of the other ingredients and becomes absolutely delicious. Burritos are an easy and great option to have as a whole meal which can get into our lunch box most comfortably.
Why is it healthy?
- Tofu is an excellent source of high-quality vegan protein. It contains estrogens from plant compounds that reduce hot flashes in postmenopausal women.
- It can also help in reducing cholesterol levels. Research suggests that isoflavones in soy can help women with PCOS lose weight
- It contains full of vitamins and minerals like iron, potassium, manganese, selenium, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, zinc, and vitamin B.
- Guacamole is loaded with heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids. Tomatoes were loaded with lycopene which is high in antioxidant that promotes heart health
Who is it for?
People with diabetes, hypertension and high cholesterol can include this in their daily diet. People with lactose intolerance can enjoy this recipe as it is lactose-free. Kids and adults can take this dish to enjoy this easy and highly nutritious recipe.
⏳Preparation Time: 30 to 35 minutes
🍽 Serves: 1
🥗 What you’ll need:
For the rice:
- Tofu (cubed)- 100g
- Olive oil- 1 teaspoon
- Onion (diced)- 1/4 cup
- Vegetable broth- 1/2 cup
- Tomato paste- 1 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- Cumin powder- 1 teaspoon
- Chili powder- ½ teaspoon
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Coriander leaves (chopped)- 1 tablespoon
For the burritos:
- 2 large flour tortillas/ phulka
- Guacamole- 1/4 cup
- Lettuce leaves- 4 or 5 leaves Sour cream- 1 tablespoon
- 1 cup of tomatoes, diced
- Optional other fillings: refried beans, rice, black beans, salsa, etc
- Drain your block of tofu and press it for about 15 minutes. Once pressed, pat dry and break into chunks.
- Make the sauce: in a stand mixer or blender, combine the broth, tomato paste, salt, cumin, chili powder, paprika, apple cider vinegar, and garlic cloves. Blend until creamy and a few chunks remain.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and add the onion and tofu chunks. Spread it into an even layer and let sit, without, stirring, for about 2–3 minutes. Stir and repeat this a few times until the tofu turns brown. Turn down the heat if it’s starting to burn.
- Add in the sauce and stir to combine. Continue to cook for about 2 more minutes so that it’s heated through.
- Assemble the burritos: lay out your 2 tortillas/ phulkas and divide the tofu mixture evenly among the tortillas. Divide all of the burrito ingredients (guacamole, lettuce, sour cream, tomatoes, etc.) evenly among the tortillas, placing everything right in the center.
- Tuck the sides in and roll the burritos up. Serve and enjoy!