Quinoa has gained popularity due to its high fiber, protein, and nutritious profile. It is not just versatile but also delicious and can be blended with all sorts of ingredients. Here is one such easy, quick-to-make recipe for quinoa- Vegetable quinoa. It has all the goodness of plant-based sources.
Why is it healthy?
- Quinoa is a good source of folate, iron, thiamine, copper, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, and zinc.
- Quinoa helps in maintaining digestive health as it is a great source of fiber. The fiber in quinoa also helps in lowering cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
- Peas contain lutein and zeaxanthin, which protect the eyes from chronic diseases. Peas are another source of fiber that helps in digestion and bowel movements.
- Green peas, yellow bell peppers, and carrots are good sources of antioxidants like vitamin C, vitamin E, zinc, catechin, and epicatechin.
Who is it for?
People with diabetes, hypertension, and high cholesterol, and people suffering from constipation can include this recipe in their diet as it helps with all the above conditions. An easy one-pot meal that can be easily added to the lunch boxes. Yummy in the tummy!
⏳ Preparation Time: 40 to 45 minutes
🍽 Serves: 1
🥗 What you’ll need:
- Quinoa- 3/4 cup
- Tomato(chopped)- 1/4 cup
- Onion (chopped)- 1/4 cup
- Green peas (soaked)- 1/4 cup
- Yellow bell peppers (chopped)- 1/4 cup
- Carrot (chopped)- 1/4 cup
- Oil- 1 tablespoon
- Salt- as per taste
- Lemon juice- 1 teaspoon
- Pepper powder- as per taste
- Cumin powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves (chopped)- 1 tablespoon
- First, rinse quinoa 3 to 4 times in water and soak for 30 minutes.
- Next, heat oil in a skillet, add cumin seeds, and sauté until the cumin seeds start to splutter. Then add onions and sauté until they turn translucent.
- To this add the other chopped veggies and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes. Add cumin powder, salt, chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, turmeric, and pepper, and mix well.
- Add 1 to 2 cups of water and stir well. Bring it to a boil, simmer and cook the vegetables for 3 to 4 minutes or until they are half done.
- Then, drain the quinoa and add it to the pan, mix well to combine everything. Adjust the seasoning as required.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook the quinoa for 15 to 20 minutes on a low flame or until the quinoa is completely cooked.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, add lemon juice and gently mix everything. Top it with some coriander leaves and serve hot.
- Vegetable quinoa is ready. Enjoy! :)
- If you soak the quinoa for 30 minutes then water should be 1 1/2 cups, otherwise, 2 cups should be added.
- Always wash the quinoa several times, so that the impurities are washed away.
- Cook the quinoa on low flame as mentioned in the steps.
- If you want the quinoa to be sticky then you can add a little more water while cooking.