Protocol Weekly is a newsletter to exclusively showcase the progress of Ethereum protocols and other layer 1 chains.
Nearing close to 40 weeks of Protocol Weekly! My favourite update this week is by-far is Loopring’s third protocol iteration. It’s a layer 2 solution which uses zero-knowledge proofs for scalability and allows for hundreds of trades per second. To see a lot of research from the past year become reality is a really exciting time. Similarly we’re going to start seeing even more projects develop their own L2 solutions as it provides interoperability with Ethereum while the flexibility of their own needs. For those of you that want more specific details you can check out the full rundown at: https://github.com/Loopring/docs/wiki/Loopring3_Design
With Loom on main-net, 0x working on their own STARK-based DEX and Connext Network live I’m getting extremely bullish on the future of Ethereum. Combined with on-chain DeFi applications and layer 2 lockups, there’s a very strong setup for ETH becoming an increasingly scarce and in-demand resource. ETH locked in DeFi crossed $400m a few weeks ago and if prices continue to rise this number will quite quickly hit $500m. Although ETH has already appreciated significantly since its ICO I think it’s understated how much more it could grow. Common criticisms for the bullish cash for Etheruem are often things around scalability/risk with Ethereum 2.0. To me this shouldn’t really be the criteria used to evaluate it. The current chain has a much longer life ahead of it as the L2 alleviates scaling issues and the momentum of the community cannot be understated. Most competitors fall into two categories:
a) Haven’t launched or are going to take another year or two. Once they launch they will spend another 2 years trying to keep their community together and go through a contentious fork (Segwit/The DAO).
b) Launched but have very little dev activity, passive interest/mindshare and don’t offer anything significantly better compared to Ethereum.
Sure Etheruem’s advantage won’t last forever but there’s a very high chance that it’ll do extremely well in the next bull run.
- Loopring is thrilled to release the complete design for #Loopring Protocol 3.0. with Zero Knowledge Proofs to tackle scalability and bring throughput to 450 trades/second on#Ethereum, all the way up from 2 trades/second!
- AirSwap is co-hosting Fluidity Summit on May 9 at the Williamsburgh Savings Bank (Weylin). Limited early bird tickets are on sale now. You can stay up to date with event updates on the official Facebook Events page.
- Read more on how Civil used the Consumer Token Framework by the Brooklyn Project and AirSwpa technology to conduct their recent token sale.
- Last week, we rolled out the private beta for AirSwap. If you’re interested in participating in the beta program, please sign up for the waitlist.
One thing we need help with:
AirSwap is hiring! If you’re interested in what our team is working on at AirSwap, please submit an application in the “Careers” section here.
- LIVE: The v0.3-beta version of Parity Fether, a decentralized light-client based wallet, is live on Ethereum mainnet.
- There’s a few tickets left for the first ever Substrate developer conference, happening in Berlin April 24–25. Apply to attend.
- “How to build your own blockchain using Parity Substrate” guide is on Hacker Noon.
- Polkadot researcher Alistair Stewart did a whiteboard video on how Polkadot works.
- Web3 Summit 2019 dates announced.
- Polkadot whitepaper was translated to Japanese.
- Substrate Collectables workshop is now in Chinese.
- New guide: How to become a validator on Polkadot.
- Interested in building on Polkadot? The Web3 Foundation is providing grants.
- Lots of new jobs up.
- Added variable fee structure to solidity contracts
- Completed user account administration
- Bug fixes and backend infrastructure clean up
- Fixed email service integration with MPX and our website
- Liquidity Network open-sources NOCUST smart contract at https://github.com/liquidity-network/nocust-contracts-solidity.
- - Please report bugs or errors if any to our Telegram Developer group https://t.me/liquiditydevelopers. We will reward you with your findings.
All Our Projects:
Parity, Loopring, Matic Network, The Graph, Origin Protocol, AirSwap, Kyber Network, Wanchain, Aion, ICON, CDx, Abacus Protocol, Enigma, Set Protocol, Codex Protocol, Colony, The Graph, POA Network, Connext Network, Dharma Protocol, Paradigm, Market Protocol, Liquidity Network.
Know a protocol that should be part of this list? Drop us an email at email@example.com.