Product Design Manager
Nerdwallet is seeking a Product Design Manager who will push boundaries, drive strategy, and lead/grow a cross-functional design team. We’re intent on raising the bar in the financial technology space with smart, delightful solutions that lock-in on user needs and tightly align with company priorities. We also want teammates that are passionate about the opportunity to disrupt an age old industry. Our consumers struggle to find clarity when deciding on a course of action for a financial decision. Our goal is to provide as much unbiased insight as possible, through simple and elegant product design.
As a Product Design Manager, you will be expected to be a companywide advocate for design and an active member of the design community. You’re also an excellent communicator and a flexible team player that can thrive in a very fast-paced, dynamic working environment. You are comfortable working closely with passionate designers, product managers, user researchers and engineers that care deeply about creating beautiful, high-impact experiences.
Where you can make an impact:
- Influence product conception, specifications and team execution with a high level of polish from a design perspective.
- Validate and substantiate your work, and be an advocate for user-centered design.
- Know how to present your work effectively, and articulately communicate design rationale to cross-functional stakeholders.
- Lead, manage and inspire a team of high caliber product design professionals.
- Seek to share design best practices and design thinking beyond your discipline to the rest of the company.
- Ensure teams are taking a user-centric approach to building products and features.
- Partner with recruiting to hire and grow new product designers.
- Act as a champion of NerdWallet’s design culture/brand through external community events, thought pieces, etc.
- Product visionary: Ability to think at a high level about product strategy and vision (not just ‘how it should look’ but ‘what we should build’).
- Highly collaborative: You strive to partner cross-functionally to build the very best product/user experiences.
- You thrive in an environment of fast feedback loops and motivating teams to do their very best work.
- You understand the technical limitations behind your designs and can effectively communicate your ideas to engineers.
- You have experience in building and shipping web and/or mobile products.
- 8+ years of applied UX/UI design experience with minimum three years of people management (hiring, developing and leading).
- Background in product design UI, UX and IxD.
- Proven leadership skills coupled with an ability to be hands-on if needed.
- Ability to conceive, build and ship products/features across iOS, Android, mobile web, etc.
- Strong information design skills with a solid foundation in UX design heuristics.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent graphic design skills (layout, typography, color).
- Mastery of design tools: Sketch, Illustrator, Photoshop.
- Mastery of prototyping tools: Invision, Pixate, HTML/CSS/JS, After Effects, Swift.
- Ability to generate pixel-perfect production assets.
- Superb attention to detail.
- Ability to work well on an ego-free, highly collaborative, and cross-functional team.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic startup environment.
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation package
- 401(k) with company match
- 100% paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employee and their dependents
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Commuter, gym and cell phone stipend
- $500 enrichment stipend towards learning and development for your role
- Catered lunches daily, free dinner and kitchens stocked full of snacks
- Onsite coffee bar with baristas
- Company happy hours, social events and outings
- Generous, flexible vacation
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
HireHer is dedicated to helping women in tech find jobs they love, at companies they admire.
Please recommend & share this job with your friends and join us on our quest to shrink the gender diversity gap in tech. Find us on Twitter and say hi :)