Senior Application Engineer
@ Able Health
Able Health is looking for Senior Application Engineers to build delightful features, design and implement useful API methods, and improve the reliability of our systems as we rapidly scale our product and organization.
We are looking for engineers who understand that simplicity and reliability are aspects of a system that can’t be tacked on but are carefully calculated with every decision made. You’ll have the opportunity to work on a team that values collaborators over cowboys, creativity over closed-mindedness, diversity and inclusivity, and sustainable pace over fire-fighting.
About Able Health
Able Health’s mission is to make value-based care simple so that care providers can focus on delivering better care. Our platform helps doctors earn incentives from health plans for delivering better care. We’re a well-funded healthcare startup backed by Y Combinator and located in downtown San Francisco.
What you’ll do
- Build a new feature, with unit tests, that can support our large-and-growing user base.
- Whiteboard a fix to a scaling problem — and then make it happen.
- Collaborate with peers to write, review, or provide feedback on a technical design proposal.
- Help our skilled engineering team triage and solve bugs.
- Contribute to internal tools that help us improve our development process, manage our users, and scale our systems.
Who we’re looking for
- You have curiosity about how things work.
- You are a strong communicator with emotional intelligence. Explaining complex technical concepts to product managers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You have experience with functional or imperative programming languages — e.g., PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Java (used without frameworks).
- You have experience with functional RSpec, Mocha, Jasmine, or similar test frameworks.
- You can jump into situations with few guardrails and make things better (but that said, automated testing is important to you).
- You write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability.
- You know how the web works. You know HTTP and TCP/IP and what a good API looks like.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- You know how to build reliable and safe distributed systems and understand the tradeoffs made when engineering a feature.
- You able to assess “build vs buy” as part of your engineering strategy.
- When things break — and they will — you are eager and able to help fix things.
Extra nice things to have:
- Experience on Agile software teams
- Experience in the healthcare industry or other industries with similar engineering challenges (especially experience building data pipelines in HIPAA/HITECH environments where privacy is paramount)
- Familiarity in Ruby on Rails
- Solid competency with SQL
- Desire to mentor and teach junior colleagues
- Experience in small start-up environments
Our core product is written in Ruby/Rails, stores data PostgreSQL. Our team prefers battle-tested technology whenever possible. If you are more interested in the problem than the tooling you will be in good company.
- Monthly stipend to cover medical, dental, and vision on your preferred plan
- Competitive salary
- Equity in an pre-Series-A, Y-Combinator-backed startup with customers
- Opportunity to impact patient care and the daily lives of healthcare professionals
- Working in a team with high EQ that values diversity
HireHer is dedicated to helping women in tech find jobs they love, at companies they admire.
Please recommend & share this job with your friends and join us on our quest to shrink the gender diversity gap in tech. Find us on Twitter and say hi :)