Hire My Friends: These Are My Most Talented Friends Available For Hire [January 2016]
For managers, founders, or recruiters looking for talented people, I personally know and vouch for everyone listed here.
Join the Hire My Friends email list to get new prospects every month.
Introduction & Explanation of This Post
This is an experiment based on two beliefs:
- The best hiring connections happen through personal networks.
- The best candidates are snapped up quickly before they ‘hit the market’
So, I have collected a handful of talented friends who are looking for new opportunities but are not yet publicly available.
Since they are all currently employed, anonymity is important. Often specific company names are withheld, since I’m posting this publicly. This is also a great excuse to give them all badass codenames.
If you are interested in hiring one of them or connecting, just click the link under their codename to get an introduction and I will put you in touch!
Here’s who we have in this Edition:
- Product Marketer
- Full-Stack Dev
- Director of Public Relations/Comms
- Business Development/Customer Success
- Product/Project Manager (x2)
- Electro-Mechanical Engineering Graduate
Product Marketer — Codename: CIA
Seeking Product Marketing or Community-focused Program Management role at growth-stage company.
- Product Marketing @ Consumer Electronics Company
- Overhauled reactive customer support model to a proactive model, dropping first response time from 72 hours to 4 hours in 4 months
- Program manager for multiple UX testing programs, as well as pre- and post- production for product videos
- Technical Support Lead
- Two-time Community Manager for tech startups
- Account Executive for Community based startup
- Product Marketing role that allows for direct influence into product development, ideally with cross-team and direct management opportunities
- Growth-stage company in need of of PMM with strengths in UX and Community Operations
- 50–300 person-company, but any size team
After working closely with this person and knowing them for years, I would work with them on any conceivable project and believe that it would be better off for their presence. A brilliant, determined, flexible self-educator.
Full-Stack Software Engineer — Codename: V
Seeking Software Engineering Role in NYC Startup.
- Full Stack Software Engineer in Ad Tech
- Responsible for development and maintenance of self-serve Native Ads API, primarily in Python and with Celery tasks.
- Designed and created backend portion of real-time deliveries dashboard display using Python, Celery, and AWS SNS/S3.
- Built new dashboard in React JS
- Created and modified UI testing with Selenium.
- Built out internal integration with our Salesforce platform sourcing using the from multiple data sources, including PostgreSQL, HBase and presto via the Salesforce API.
- Technical Account Manager in AdTech
- Customer Support in AdTech
- Digital Marketing Project Manager at Zaarly
- Software Engineering position, ideally one that works closely somewhat closely with the business side.
- Full stack position that provides an opportunity to further develop front-end skills
- Located in NYC, ideally series B or C stage (50–100 people)
Thorough and thoughtful, this dude is a great executor. Taught themselves to code and worked up from Customer Support to full-stack dev in a shockingly short time.
Director of PR/Comms — Codename: Beer
Seeking in-house PR / Communications / Marketing role at a company or PE/VC fund.
- Director at a top special situations/crisis public relations and communications agency
- Responsible for designing and executing complex internal and external communications plans for companies and private equity funds
- Handpicked to help found the agency’s San Francisco office — expanded team from four to ten professionals in first year — directly manage two account executives
- Senior Account Executive at the same special situations/crisis public relations and communications agency
- Investment Banking Analyst at Royal Bank of Canada (ECM Group)
- B.A. Harvard — History and English
- In-house communications role that requires strong message development and project management skills
- Opportunities to work cross-functionally and forge relationships other teams/functions in the organization
- >25 person-company/fund, but any size team — strong potential for mentor-ship within team or company preferred
Loyal, dedicated and hard-working, this person is as near as a reasonable to a guarantor of success on a project. Somehow, in their vicinity, no balls ever seem to be dropped.
Product/Project Manager — Codename: Red
Manager-level Product/Project Manager & Business Development seeking leadership role at growth stage company.
- Project/Account Manager at a Detroit consumer products manufacturer.
- Co-ordinated the design of a 6 station, 7 employee, 2 shift assembly line producing 125 complex units per day.
- Closed a deal and managed the account, design, and production for a run of 1,000 custom tap handles valued at $33K, with a follow on order 6 months later of the same size.
- Fellow Community Manager at Venture for America. Focused on recruitment and fundraising.
- Co-Founder of the educational non-profit Motor City Machine.
- Vice President/Product Manager at Benzinga.
- Product management or Business development/Account Management role
- >10 person company, any sized team
- If consumer based, hard products are preferred, if tech based, B2B/large scale problems preferred.
A curious and rabid learner, this person knows how to make themselves an asset to any mission by keeping a broad perspective and working hard to get the details right.
Electo-Mechanical Engineer — Codename: Curl
Seeking a challenging design role in product and industrial design.
- Graduated from the University of Cape Town, Magna Cum Laude
- An American citizen with dual South African citizenship
- Researching design thinking and methodologies
- Project manager at the University of Cape Town, overseeing wind tunnel testing of the aerodynamic properties of cheetah fur and its potential for use in moving robotic systems
- Maintenance and Manufacturing Intern at Ithemba Labs
- Shooting guard for the University of Cape Town Basketball Team.
- A role in product design incorporating technical design and product development
- A company with a user-centered mindset
- A company with a commitment to innovation
Curl made it through one of the toughest degree programs in the world. Now, with a fresh perspective and rigorous technical background, they’re ready to take on fantastic projects and build really cool shit.
Product Manager — Codename: Midwest
Founder turned Product Person seeking Product Management role at growth stage company.
- Consulting for startups on Product
- 10x MRR (k’s to 10k’s) in 12 months on shoestring dev/marketing budget
- Increased first-month engagement 96% with new features
- Stabilized complex technical architecture enabling product experimentation
- Sales & Marketing Director at Software Development Consulting Company
- Founder of Real Estate Technology Startup
- Operations Manager at Package Delivery Company
- Product management role with career growth opportunities in leadership positions
- Growth stage company that focuses on customers and data in decision making
- > 25 person company
Midwest has elevated Product Management to a rigor and precision that I’ve never seen in anyone else. With experience founding and working on many different projects, MW brings a great perspective and is excellent at applying their entire selves to their work.
Biz-Dev/Customer Success — Codename: Gogo
Seeking Business Development or Customer Success role at growing startup.
- Built strategic partnerships with Mac software creators to promote their applications through MacUpdate Promo
- Led team responsible for over $1.5mm per year of revenue and meeting year over year growth goals of 15%
- Frequently managed product launches, including visual design and development
- Executive Director & Co-founder of Startup Zoo, a 501c3 non-profit supporting entrepreneurs in Kalamazoo
- Co-founder of HappyGraph, where we used research in positive psychology to improve happiness at work
- Facilitator for Startup Weekend
- Company greater than > 10 people that supports remote employees
- Customer Success role or Business Development / Partnership focused position
- Company where I can learn a lot and will be constantly challenged
Friendly, connected, and warm — Gogo instantly gets along with anyone they meet, and connects quickly, reassuring and inspiring people.
Thanks for checking this out — I hope it was helpful. Don’t be shy about asking for introductions or for more information on someone :)
Join the Hire My Friends email list to get new prospects every month.
Thanks to the incomparable Tyler Hayes for the inspiration!
Follow me on Twitter: @EricJorgenson
I also write other things like Evergreen, for building a smarter business brain.
Building and Managing a Team
How to Find and Recruit the Team you Need
How Not to Hire like a Clownshow
Compensation Rules Everything Around Me
Why Employee Onboarding is holding you back
How to Boost Employee Retention
How Performance Reviews are being Reinvented
Secrets to Perfecting Organizational Communication
How to Manage Scale, and Operate in Scaling Organizations
How to Fire an Employee
Strategy and Competitive Advantage
How to Master the Craft of Strategy
Competitive Advantage: How to Build a Winning Business
The Power of Network Effects
How Cost Leadership Builds Powerful Businesses
Why the Best Brands Stand Out
Scale as Competitive Advantage
Building the Business
How to get good business Ideas: Mental Alchemy of Ideation
Product/Market Fit: What it really means & How to Measure it
How to Failure-proof your business with Customer Development
How Strategy and Psychology Work Together to Perfect Pricing
The Most Important Equations in Business - CAC (Part 1)
The Simple Math Behind Every Profitable Business - CLV (Part 2)
How Psychology behind Word-of-Mouth Works
The Secret Core of Every Successful Business--Distribution
The Most Important Lessons in Sales
How to be a Great Employee
How to Start a New Job: Handling Career Transitions like a Boss
How to Master the Discipline of Product Management
I've also written about How & Why we started Evergreen: