Additions and Subtractions, Offseason Transactions: 2016 Edition
It’s been a little over a month since the World Series came to and end (with three former Bulls playing huge parts in it), and the offseason is well underway. The #HotStove is heating up, with two blockbuster deals taking place at this past week’s Winter Meetings in DC. With Spring Training not so far away (only a little over two months!), we take a look at some roster moves surrounding the 2016 Bulls squad in our annual look at comings and goings of Bulls players. (See the 2014 report and 2015 report.)
- Back in November, the Rays made a splash by trading fan-favorites Richie Shaffer and Taylor Motter to Seattle.
- Popular outfielder Jaff Decker and relief pitcher Tyler Sturdevant each signed as free agents with the Oakland Athletics.
- Relief pitchers Adam Kolarek and Parker Markel signed elsewhere, with the former going to Atlanta and the latter heading to Korea.
- Infielder Juniel Querecuto, who got a September call-up, is also heading to the Bay Area after signing with San Francisco.
Back for More:
- A couple of southpaws re-signed with Tampa Bay on minor league deals, meaning they’ll likely return to Durham in 2017: Justin Marks (of no-hitter fame) and Dana Eveland.
The New Guy (Maybe):
- In the trade for Shaffer and Motter, the Rays received three minor leaguers. Two of them are on the younger side and don’t project to spend time in Durham next season. However, RHP Andrew Kittredge split last year between Double-A and Triple-A, registering 38 innings on the senior circuit.
- Other than Kittredge, Tampa Bay hasn’t acquired anyone that projects to contribute to Durham in 2017. That being said there’s still a lot of offseason left to go, AND the Bulls should return a number of players, with a crop of prospects making the jump from Double-A Montgomery as well.
- While some players have already signed elsewhere or re-signed, there’s still a handful of players who are free agents, looking for their next team: Mayo Acosta, JP Arencibia, Casey Coleman, Hank Conger, Jake Goebbert, Eury Perez and Adam Wilk.
News and Notes:
- The same day the Rays dealt Shaffer and Motter, they added Austin Pruitt, Jaime Schultz, Ryne Stanek, Chih-Wei Hu, Hunter Wood, Jose Alvarado, Daniel Robertson and Willy Adames to the 40-man roster.
- The Rule 5 Draft was held Thursday at the Winter Meetings. (For more on the extremely confusing Rule 5 Draft click here.) Tampa Bay selected RHP Kevin Gadea from the Mariners in the Major League portion, and RHP Ty Hensley (Yankees) and RHP Jairo Munoz (Phillies) in the Minor League portion. Neither pitcher taken in the MiLB section of the draft has pitched above Single-A. RHP Jared Mortensen, who made two starts for the Bulls in 2015, was the only player Tampa Bay lost in the Rule 5 drafts.
- INF/OF Ryan Brett, who missed the entire 2016 season with an elbow injury and needed Tommy John surgery, was non-tendered by the Rays, meaning he becomes a free agent. Brett spent the majority of 2015 with the Bulls.