20 Things I’d Like to Tell My 20 Year Old Self
We are many things at 20.
Our minds and hearts are filled with hopes and dreams, some of which, we realise only much later, are too good to be true. We don’t possess something only our older selves do — cynicism.
Cynical as I am, here are 20 things I’d like to tell my 20 year old self.
- Accounting isn’t for you. You’ll figure it out soon enough.
- Don’t be bogged down by the opinions of those who seem to keep putting you down. They’ll be surprised to see you change the way you do.
- The teenage fights with your parents that never happened will manifest in your twenties. Don’t worry, you’ll learn to deal with it.
- You deserve happiness. Let no one tell you otherwise.
- You will have your heart irreparably broken by a friend you invested so much into. Don’t worry about closure. It’ll take you a couple of years but he’ll know one day about the friendship he chose to kill.
- You will grow to be one of the most resilient and courageous people that you know of. You just don’t know it yet. Your 28 year old self will also figure it out much later.
- You will have disappointing relationships that will destroy your rose-tinted view of love.
- You will learn to assert yourself. Don’t worry about not having a voice. Yours will show up when the time comes.
- Listen to your intuition. It will be your guiding light now and forever.
- You have only met your lifelong best friend twice. When she moves to your city next year, hold on to her tight! She’ll be your voice of reason, partner-in-crime, laughter partner, bum chum and support system. Never ever let her go!
- This friend will always make you want to become a better person. Every single day.
- Laughter keeps you going. Others’ and yours. Keep making those awful jokes.
- You will forge friendships for a lifetime even though that looks nowhere close right now.
- You will go on to believe in alternative therapies. Doctors aren’t all pervasive.
- You will get a lot more cynical in the coming years. You won’t lose hope but you’ll have a matter of fact air about you.
- You’ll be one of the happiest people you know.
- You’ll find joy in colouring and painting.
- Writing your pain away will be among the best things you do for yourself. You’ll do it at 22 and continue to do it at 27.
- You’ll be your own Patronus when nothing else works. You’ll always come back.
- You will learn to love again and, more importantly, never ever give up on life.
You just don’t know it yet! Wait until you get there.