Through the years, I have often had people ask me the question, “Do I have to go to all of the services of the church? I mean, what if I don’t go on Sunday night?” Well, allow me to answer that question with a few questions of my own.
- Do you have to hug and kiss your little children?
- Do you have to remember your wife’s birthday?
- Do you have to call home when you’re late coming home from work?
- Do you have to buy Christmas presents for your family?
- Do you have to attend ball games and band functions in which your children are involved?
- Do you have to attend the funeral of a close friend or loved one?
- Do you have to say, “I love you” when you love someone?
I think you see the point. Sometimes we are guilty of asking the wrong questions. There are some things in life that we don’t “have” to do, but we “get” to do. In fact, even asking the question, “Do I have to?” is terribly inappropriate.
When my relationship with God is based on what I have to do and what I don’t have to do, then I had better take a long hard look at that relationship.
— Steve Higginbotham
“If ye love me, keep my commandments” John 14:15