Unity Editor Installation and APK Packaging
Recently, the project leader suddenly proposed that the team use Unity to develop a game and release it on HUAWEI AppGallery. Unity beginners who have only developed Android clients before need to start learning knowledge about Unity. This article mainly talks about the following information for beginners:
- How to install Unity Editor?
- How to package an APK in Unity Editor quickly?、
Registering with the Unity Platform
Before you actually start using Unity, you should get a Unity account. An account is required to download Unity Editor and download resource files from Unity Asset Store. So, just register at this link: https://id.unity.com.
Installing Unity Editor
Now you have an account. You need to install Unity Editor. For details, see the description on the official website: https://unity.cn/releases.
There are many installation methods available on the official website. Here, I use the Unity Hub method recommended by the official website. That is, install Unity Hub first and then install Unity Editor in the hub.
- Unity Hub: It is a tool for managing Unity projects, Unity Editor, licenses, and additional components.
- Unity Editor: It is a platform for you to develop projects. It is similar to Android Studio and can be used to compile and run projects. In addition, from this editor, you can directly go to Unity Hub, which is really practical.
The installation procedure is as follows:
1. Install Unity Hub.
2. Open Unity Hub and click the button to install Unity Editor. In the following figure, the latest version is installed.
Note: If you want to change the installation path of Unity Editor, click the gear icon in the upper right corner.
3. Manage your license. Here, I use a license of the personal edition. This is enough for a beginner.
(Optional) Installing Visual Studio
Visual Studio is the script editor of Unity. Generally, you do not need to install Visual Studio by yourself. It is automatically installed when you install Unity Editor. However, Visual Studio may fail to be installed automatically. According to information that can be found over the Internet, when installation failure occurs, you can install Visual Studio by yourself you referring to https://blog.csdn.net/fromfire2/article/details/81270185/.
If the automatic installation is successful, the Visual Studio information can be associated. The correct installation result is as follows:
Creating a Project
1. Open Unity Hub and create a project on the page shown in the following figure.
2. Click CREATE. Unity Editor automatically opens the project. For each new project, Unity provides a default sample game scene SampleScene.
A game scene contains the architecture, characters, background, sound, and special effects that will be revealed to players.
For details about the basic concepts of Unity, search the Internet or visit the Unity official website at https://docs.unity.cn/2018.4/Documentation/Manual/UsingTheSceneView.html.
Packaging the APK
I just created a project in Unity Editor, with a SampleScene displayed. This article will not talk about how to add characters, buildings, backgrounds, sounds, and buttons to the scene. You can learn about the procedure by yourself based on your needs. Next, I’ll talk about how to package an APK in Unity. In this case, I need to package the empty SampleScene.
1. Set up the Android environment. For details, please refer to the official documentation. I have integrated the Android SDK and Java SDK locally, so I associate the local SDKs.
2. Release an APK package and change the package name and version code.
3. Connect your mobile phone to your computer and package the APK package.
Actually, the package can be normally installed on my mobile phone.
For more details, please check: