COVID-19: Investing And The New Normal
Best Practices From DC-Area Investment Firms
We co-hosted a virtual Pop-Up with VC in DC, “COVID-19: Investing And The New Normal.” VC in DC features long-standing in-person quarterly events for investors at DC-area venture capital, angel, growth equity, and venture debt firms.
The VC in DC Virtual Pop-Up was an all-in-one live online event where attendees could learn, interact, and connect with people from wherever they’re sheltering in place. The agenda included a panel of key subject matter experts (SME). The SME panel shared recommendations for how firms can manage uncertainty in our rapidly changing world, discussed relevant topics, and answer attendees’ questions like:
- The effects of COVID-19 on the IPO market is already showing — how long will companies have to wait to go public?
- COVID-19 is shifting human behavior, will the pandemic response translate into more M&A activity?
- Will the lack of in-person interaction lead to a funding slowdown or removal of barriers?
- If companies do not qualify for PPP or can’t secure one, should they look at a low-interest loan? What does that process look like?
- How should enterprise startups think about which KPIs are “good” and what constitutes success during the pandemic?
As the venture world tries to figure out its new normal, there have been many questions about what everyone is seeing in the market. Below are recorded highlights from the panel discussion that will give you a glimpse into what DC-area investors and service providers are seeing in the space:
I hope you learn as much as our attendees did. The panel was moderated by myself, Harry Alford, and comprised of the following panelists:
- Christian Souza, VP, Silicon Valley Bank
- Kendrick Nguyen, Co-Founder, Republic
- Angie Collier, VP, Dupont Circle Solutions
Thank you to all who attended VC in DC’s first-ever online event. A special thank you to the VC in DC board members and our sponsors: Revolution, Franklin Advisory, Maryland Venture Fund, Blu Ventures, Motley Fool Ventures, and humble ventures.
Humble Ventures is a venture development firm that drives innovation forward in partnership with startups, established enterprises, and investors.
We focus on diverse entrepreneurs that are solving problems for the fastest growing demographic segments. We believe that diverse entrepreneurs provide opportunities for disproportionate returns and represent the markets of the future.