Medicated Summer Berry Meringues Salad
Recipe and Photos by Monica Lo
This dessert is a light, crisp, melt-in-your-mouth treat loaded with farm fresh berries and a jam that’s infused with Humboldt Legend’s White OG, an indica-dominant strain with alight lemony aroma. These meringues are impressive enough for a special occasion and the perfect end to a summer dinner.
Makes 12 mini meringues
Ingredients for Meringues
- 6 Extra large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp Cream of tartar
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups Granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
Ingredients for the Cream
- 1 cup Creme fraiche
- 1 Vanilla pod
- 3 Tbsp Granulated sugar
Ingredients for Berry Jam
- 1 half-pint Fresh blueberries, save a few for garnish
- 1 pint Fresh raspberries, save a few for garnish
- 1 half-pint Fresh blackberries, save a few for garnish
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Medicated honey (see basic recipe or Sous Weed recipe)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Mint to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200º. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a cup and a pencil, draw six circles on each piece of paper. Then turn the paper face down on the baking sheets.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt at medium speed until frothy. Then add 1 cup of sugar and raise the speed to high. Mix until the egg whites form stiff peaks then mix in vanilla. Then using a rubber spatula, fold in the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar into the meringue.
- With the rubber spatula, fill each circle on the baking sheet with the meringue mixture, carefully making a small well in the center for the cream and berries.
- Bake the meringues for 2 hours, then turn the heat off and allow to dry even further for 4 hours. You can save these meringues in an air tight container in a cool, dark place.
- To make the cream, mix creme fraiche, vanilla seeds, and powdered sugar together. Refrigerate until it’s time to serve.
- To make the berry jam, bring blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and water to a boil in a sauce pan. Lower the heat to medium-low and add in medicated honey, lemon juice, and zest. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the jam has thickened up, remove from heat and store until ready to serve.
- To serve, fill a meringue with the jam mixture and drizzle the creme fraiche mixture all over. Top with fresh berries and garnish with mint leaves.