We’re Hiring! Join our Neighborhood Outreach Team
The Hunts Point Resiliency project team is looking to hire individuals to join their Neighborhood Outreach Team. Team members will work with the Hunts Point Resiliency Project Team to connect with residents and businesses in the community to teach and share important information about the Hunts Point Resiliency Project and to make sure that community voices are heard during this the process. The project, led by the City of New York, aims to strengthen energy and flood resiliency for the residents, businesses, and community of the peninsula. See the description for more information and instructions on how to apply.
Passionate about addressing climate change? Want to make sure that residents and businesses are prepared for future storms? Have a vision for the Hunts Point Community? Join the Hunts Point Resiliency Neighborhood Outreach Team!
The City of New York is working with local stakeholders to advance resiliency in Hunts Point. The Hunts Point Resiliency Project aims to strengthen energy and flood resiliency for the residents, businesses, and community of Hunts Point Peninsula. The Project is made up of two feasibility studies for resilient energy and flood risk reduction and conceptual design and environmental review of a resilient energy pilot project.
The Neighborhood Outreach Team will work with the Hunts Point Resiliency Project Team to connect with residents and businesses in the community to teach and share important information about the Hunts Point Resiliency Project and to make sure that community voices are heard during this the process.
• Attend meetings (about 4 hours a month) with Neighborhood Outreach Team Members
• Attend training sessions, prepare meetings, conduct community outreach and other tasks(about 4hours a month), which may include:
o Plan and lead at least 1 resiliency event during a 6-month period
o Work with schools, churches, local businesses, and other community groups to educate community members and share vital information about the resiliency project
o Gather feedback and information from local Hunts Point residents and stakeholders
o Attend community events as a representative of the Hunts Point Resiliency team to educate attendees on resiliency and to solicit information to inform the project
• Commitment to work with Hunts Point Resiliency Team for the 18-month project period
• Willingness to attend trainings, meetings and events totaling 8–10 hours a month including evenings and weekends as needed
• Familiarity with the Hunts Point community and local institutions
• Interest in or basic knowledge of climate change, resiliency, and local environmental justice issues
• Positive and enthusiastic attitude
• Willingness to work in a team-based setting with other members of the Neighborhood Outreach Team and the Hunts Point Resiliency team
• Ability to conduct presentations, engage individuals, and perform outreach tasks
• Bi-lingual English and Spanish is not required, but is preferred. Social media and communications skills a plus
Hours and Compensation: Neighborhood Outreach Team Members will be required to attend monthly meetings and will engage in outreach activities for a total of 8 hours a month and for a period of 6 months (October 1, 2016 — March 31, 2017). Outreach team members will be compensated $130 dollars monthly. There may be an opportunity to continue as a Neighborhood Outreach Team Member for an additional 9 months dependent on the project’s progress.
To Apply: Applicants must apply in person at THE POINT CDC at 940 Garrison Ave, Bronx, NY 10474, during business hours M-F 10am-6:00pm or online at www.thepoint.org. The deadline to apply is Friday September 23, 2016. Fill out the application here.
Residents of the Hunts Point Community and residents of NYCHA are strongly encouraged to apply.