As previously mentioned, IGDB has joined Twitch, and in our efforts to reap the full benefits of being part of a bigger team, we are implementing some changes.
We have decided to migrate our current identity management to Twitch authentication. This means that we will only be supporting you to login using a Twitch account in the future.
We took this decision because it will allow the IGDB core team to focus more on making IGDB better and developing new features instead of having to dedicate resources to maintaining a separate account system. We also want both the IGDB and Twitch community to be able to use both services as seamlessly as possible (by not needing to login when jumping between the two).
This means that if you wish to continue using IGDB you will have to convert your IGDB account into a Twitch account. We have made sure to make this process as simple as possible because we really want you to stay :)
For our users with a Twitch account, this is how you connect your IGDB and Twitch accounts:
- Log in to IGDB with your IGDB credentials
- Click on the connect banner at the top of the page
- Click ‘Connect with Twitch’, you will be able to link your IGDB account to your existing Twitch account.
For our users that do not have a Twitch account, here is how you convert your account:
- Click sign up on IGDB
- Click ‘login or create a twitch account’
- Follow the prompts for Twitch account creation
- On the next screen, click ‘YES’ if you want to connect your IGDB account to your newly created Twitch account (step2), or click ‘NO’ if this is your first time signing in to IGDB.
- Enter your IGDB credentials on the next screen.
All accounts that have not been converted to a Twitch account by January 20, 2020 (within 90 days) will be deleted.
If you don’t want to continue to use IGDB, you can simply wait for this to happen.
FAQ — Twitch Login:
- What are you doing with your login?
We are removing our login system and replacing it with the Twitch login system.
2. Why are you doing this?
To focus more on product and feature development and make it easier to use both IGDB and Twitch.
3. Will my contributions/lists/reviews/ratings/friends/etc. carry over to my Twitch account?
4. What happens to my account if I don’t convert it to a Twitch account?
It will be deleted on January 20, 2020.
5. Is it possible to recover an account that wasn’t converted after January 20, 2020?
No, we feel that community members who do not convert their accounts have an expectation that their profile data will be deleted, and therefore that the account will not be recoverable.
6. What happens to my IGDB username?
Since we are switching to Twitch accounts, your username will automatically change to that of your Twitch account.
As previously promised, we are now releasing our new free tier of our API and deprecating the previous premium tiers. The new free tier will have the same capabilities as the old Pro tier. Happy coding! :)
FAQ — Free API:
1. What are you doing with your API?
We are removing our premium tiers for the API and replacing them with a new and improved free tier.
2. I am currently on a premium tier. What do I need to do?
Nothing! We will convert your account and cancel any outstanding invoice.
If you want to keep track of how IGDB is evolving and share your thoughts and suggestions, Discord is a good place to grab us for a chat!