In a sentence: ICON Hyperconnect P-Rep plans to accelerate ICON applications & growth at scale in collaboration with Hyperconnector, our official accelerator partner which is also ICON’s official accelerator partner and the Seoul Launchpad of ICX Station. We will host online hackathons on the world’s largest hackathon platform Devpost, which has 900K+ online developers, to facilitate the creation of 30+ applications and accelerate the best of them every 4 months.
But here’s the thing. We’re not just going to create 30+ random applications.
You are going to have a big say in the rules of what gets built because because we want to create real-life ICON applications that the ICON community wants/needs.
We believe that this is the best way to create applications that can bring true value at scale. Interested? Read more.
ICON Hyperconnect P-Rep is led by Markus Jun, former Head of Research at Deblock (former ICX Station Seoul Launchpad), ICON’s former official VC firm and accelerator partner.
He’s overseen research, investment and acceleration on over 100 projects that were interested in building on ICON, and has heavily promoted and represented ICON and Deblock which included giving a talk on ICON at Samsung Global Strategy Group, and several interviews and articles with top crypto influencers and publications.
Devpost, the online hackathon platform we will launch on, is the dominant platform with 900K+ developers, and has worked with companies like Samsung, Amazon, Microsoft and Facebook along with blockchain platforms like Bitcoin, EOS and Ethereum.
We’ve spoken with and discussed at length the feasibility with one of Devpost’s directors and they have seen much success with cryptocurrency hackathons. We want to add ICON into this mix, and do so much more by providing an additional acceleration phase post-hackathon because we want both quantity and quality: fully-fledged applications that will have real use cases for the ICON ecosystem.
During the acceleration phase Hyperconnector will provide a solid support system to the winning projects to ensure that they are provided consulting, mentoring networking and marketing guidance. We are confident in this because Hyperconnector has run an ICON accelerator in the past.
This is an example of one cycle (4 months) of the Hyperconnector accelerator. It will include a 1 month hackathon and 3 months of acceleration. Hyperconnector hopes to create a new field of application for each online hackathon (e.g., Games, Privacy, Security etc.) for each hackathon cycle.
It’s important to note that the developers participating aren’t exclusively blockchain focused. These developers include everyone from students to senior developers in the largest companies in the world from every imaginable industry. The hackathon itself will bring massive developer/technical exposure to the ICON platform. That’s why companies like Facebook and Amazon are hosting one right now on Devpost.
Hyperconnector, operating as an online accelerator running online hackathons, works at an unprecedented scale, as participants are not constrained by national or industry boundaries as any developer/non-developer of any background or age, will be able to participate in the entire acceleration experience. This online presence at (least physically) mitigates the effects of the unfortunate trends of the coronavirus.
In addition to all of this, Markus plans to continue his work of promoting and representing ICON in the same manner he has done before.
Motivation of Proposal
As a P-Rep, we thought long and hard about how we could provide both maximum efficiency and a unique value proposition for the ICON ecosystem. We noticed that there were some P-Reps that created content and news of ICON, and those who focused on developing applications on ICON themselves. Ultimately we wanted to focus on real-life applications too, but in scale.
The most important aspect of our P-Rep is that we are not a development focused P-Rep that focuses on one or two applications of ICON over a long period. We are a P-Rep that will be facilitating the creation of 30+ applications and accelerating the best of them every 4 months.
This is the maximum efficiency we were seeking, and the unique value proposition we can offer. We are looking forward to working with the entire ICON community for constant feedback, and collaborating with several P-Reps including the ICON Foundation in the execution of our plan.
Goals of ICON Hyperconnect P-Rep
- Grow the ICON ecosystem by creating 30+ real-life applications (games, security, privacy) on the ICON blockchain at scale by hosting online hackathons on the largest online hackathon platform in the world.
- Bring mass exposure of the ICON ecosystem to Devpost’s massive 900K+ online developer base.
- Listen to the ICON community to identify the true needs and demands of the ecosystem. You have a say. We will draw from this to construct optimal hackathon guidelines to facilitate the creation of meaningful real-life ICON applications that people actually want/need to use.
- Facilitate maximum community participation and exposure of ICON to the entire cryptocurrency community by enabling public voting on submissions in the hackathon and carefully collecting feedback.
- Ensure the hackathon is not just for developers, but inclusive of non-technical people by adding a Growth Hack prize pool which will be rewarded to the participants who create the most viral/best media content of ICON. This is not uncommon in hackathons on Devpost, and will attract many creative non-technical individuals.
- Utilize our team’s vast personal network and background to attract the best students/developers in Korea and the world to participate in the ICON ecosystem/hackathon.
- Provide technical feedback to the ICON Foundation that we receive from Devpost’s large developer base.
- Markus Jun: Seoul National University Computer Science. Former Head of Research at Deblock (ICX Station Seoul), ICON’s official venture capital firm and accelerator partner. Former CEO of Reached. Markus will be in charge of managing daily activities and overseeing macro initiatives.
- Evelyn Jun: New York University Stern School of Business Finance and Marketing. Former Marketing at Burberry. Evelyn will be in charge of marketing, finance, communications, and developer outreach.
- Sungtae Park: Seoul National University Economics & Seoul National University Law School. Former Business Team at Samsung Electronics. Drawing from his vast experience, Mr. Park will be advising both our team, and accelerator participants, and help facilitate connections from his vast network of academia and corporate circles.
In addition to this:
During his time at Deblock, Markus:
- Met with and oversaw research on over 100 projects. These included established companies that were multinational on scale to a single indie game developer.
- Had several meetings a week with ICON’s CTO, senior developers, and business team to discuss technical feasibility and business angles of dapps that ranged from various different industries. As a result he has extensive first hand experience in discussing and brainstorming real life applications for ICON and how best to grow its ecosystem.
- Provided acceleration to several companies that built on ICON in the form of consulting, mentoring, marketing, and networking.
- Spoke at Samsung Electronics (Samsung Global Strategy Group) about ICON, Deblock, and blockchain in Korea
- Helped, along with Webloc, host Blockchain Demo Day, an in-person blockchain dapp competition every month which invited the leaders of Korea’s blockchain industry as judges (which included ICONLOOP’s JH Kim, Hashed’s Simon Kim).
- Built out partnerships with top crypto funds & influencers to expand ICON’s global reach.
- Participated in several interviews, published several articles to promote ICON and Deblock.
- Improved public relations by bridging investors with members of the ICON Council.
- Worked with ICX Station managers based across SF, Tokyo, and Singapore
Execution of Proposal & Expected Timeline
If ICON Hyperconnect P-Rep receives funding for the next 4 months via the ICON community Grant request that we have just submitted (feel free to vote!) to the ICON Foundation, then we can begin planning, preparation, developer outreach, community management and marketing right away, and launch our first hackathon in June.
The hackathon itself will last for an entire month. So this 4 month funding would ultimately cover one cycle of an entire hackathon which will end in July. By this point, we hope to become self-sufficient as a P-Rep, and not require additional funding.
In the following 3 months, Hyperconnector will proceed to accelerate the winners and most promising projects of the hackathon by providing consulting, mentoring, marketing, and networking, while also promoting the ICON ecosystem in general and preparing for the next hackathon.
To summarize, each 4 month cycle will include a 1 month hackathon and 3 months of acceleration, promotion and preparation.
As we go through each cycle and hopefully become self-sufficient as a P-Rep as we prove our value over time to the community, we plan to continuously iterate and collaborate with Hyperconnector further to create bigger and better hackathons.
Thank you so much to all those who took the time to read this. Please don’t hesitate to ask us any questions via our contact details below.
Additional Links & Team Contact Information
ICON Community Grant Request: Please read and vote if you like it.
Official P-Rep address: https://tracker.icon.foundation/address/hxd5059fec8665bc7b769f4893aef65cf00049377a